VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the screenwriters walk, a lot of people in this town will have a tough time making a living. Me included.
I read screenplays and write "coverage" and notes. So if any of you guys have friends trying to write a movie script, send them here...
http://www.screenplaymechanic.com
Is anyone else here going to be affected? I know a few people who might lose their dayjob completely.

·
Banned
6,907 Posts
Re: Writer's Strike = yikes (maclane)

Welcome to the blue-collar life http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif , lemme know when your diggin holes for 8 bucks an hour.. then u can call it a tough time

Modified by _pineapplegti_ at 1:14 AM 11-2-2007

·
Registered
4,813 Posts

It's a very said state of affairs, what can I say. Very unfortunate.
Will it effect me? No. At least until the new season of Lost starts. Hopefully they've already written all the episodes.
As someone that's never been part of a union or anything like that, I find the whole thing to be very confusing.
If I don't like how much money I make at my job, I get another one.
If I own a business I should be able to hire/fire whoever I want and pay them as much or as little as I want, if they don't like it they can work somewhere else.
Che and I would not get along methinks. No, I'm not a Republican either.
In fairness, at least screenwriting takes skill/talent. They are not an easily replaceable commodity. The often lazy people (when I say this, I mean they work with no urgency) at the supermarket that just scan items going on strike really kinda pissed me off. As far as I'm concerned, if you have no education, and a job anyone can do, you have no basis to complain.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Writer's Strike = yikes (TarmacSpecial)

If you're a fan of shows like The Daily Show, Letterman, Bill Maher, etc. they will go off the air as early as next week. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
4,813 Posts

Quote, originally posted by maclane »
If you're a fan of shows like The Daily Show, Letterman, Bill Maher, etc. they will go off the air as early as next week. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Can't they just make bollywood versions?
Check out this version of Thriller....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbvP7dT3Dx0

·
Registered
9,777 Posts

..I love Lost....... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif i dont think it starts until feb 08 now..

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

I'm with you Tarmac http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Re: Writer's Strike = yikes (Hustler Woo)

Quote, originally posted by Hustler Woo »
hopefully there's less traffic

No there will be more, because all those people that should be at work will be out doing other things!

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
Re: Writer's Strike = yikes (Hustler Woo)

This strike has been known for quite a while.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts

Quote, originally posted by TarmacSpecial »
It's a very said state of affairs, what can I say. Very unfortunate.
Will it effect me? No. At least until the new season of Lost starts. Hopefully they've already written all the episodes.
As someone that's never been part of a union or anything like that, I find the whole thing to be very confusing.
If I don't like how much money I make at my job, I get another one.
If I own a business I should be able to hire/fire whoever I want and pay them as much or as little as I want, if they don't like it they can work somewhere else.
Che and I would not get along methinks. No, I'm not a Republican either.
In fairness, at least screenwriting takes skill/talent. They are not an easily replaceable commodity. The often lazy people (when I say this, I mean they work with no urgency) at the supermarket that just scan items going on strike really kinda pissed me off. As far as I'm concerned, if you have no education, and a job anyone can do, you have no basis to complain.

Unions serve their purpose, for the most part, in preventing employers from taking advantage of workers/employees
What an employer "can and cannot do with" an employee who is a member of a union is determined by the employers contract with that particular union. If there is no contract, then the employer can do whatever they want and the unions only purpose is to serve as "one voice" for the workers/employees. If there is a contract the the union and the employer both have responsibilities to uphold.....Can "Ralphs" (supermarket) hire anyone they want to....sure, but, by contract, that employee is required to join the union.
Most of the time, strikes start because the contract expires and one side wants to add something or take something away from the contract...

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Writer's Strike = yikes (VR6GTI72)

Quote, originally posted by VR6GTI72 »
This strike has been known for quite a while.

The threat has been there, but the strike only became a 99.9% likelihood in the last few days.
I think the WGA has a strong argument (especially where residuals are concerned) but I hope the strike can be avoided or doesn't last long.
Best of luck to anyone else affected. Last I heard there's 240,000 of us.

·
Registered
11,562 Posts

The threat has been there, but the strike only became a 99.9% likelihood in the last few days.
I think the WGA has a strong argument (especially where residuals are concerned) but I hope the strike can be avoided or doesn't last long.
Best of luck to anyone else affected. Last I heard there's 240,000 of us.

Im sure you have been paying attention far more than I have. I just thought it was a given. Best of luck, hope it doesnt last too long for your sake.

·
Banned
6,907 Posts
Re: Writer's Strike = yikes (VR6GTI72)

i didnt even know this was a strike issue.. sorry mclane i thought u were whining because of the ****ty economy .. at least they have some power although ive always seen the entertainment unions as kind of funny . When we want to strike on the railroad ( our company is run by the devil himself) the federal government will step in and say go back to work .. sucks but what can u do.. hope they can come up with an agreeable contract soon http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Writer's Strike = yikes (_pineapplegti_)

I bet you've all seen the headlines by now. Some people are saying the strike will go deep into 2008...

No Office. No Daily Show. No paychecks.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts

I bet you've all seen the headlines by now. Some people are saying the strike will go deep into 2008...

No Office. No Daily Show. No paychecks.

i hope we don't have to rely on a Bollywood version of The Office....oh man, I can just imagine.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Re: Writer's Strike = yikes (ablauer)

The Writers strike is startin to affect everyone. It's not only writers but local restaurants and people who service the entertainment industry in every way. The real damage will be done in the next two months. If the strike continues most shows will not get Renewed for the new season/year.. its a big deal... that means everyone is out of work from the PA to the cleaning people to the VP..everyone
On a side note I think the writers should of had a intentional slow down instead of a strike.. gets the point across and no one losses there job.. you just show up to work but dont do nuthin..
People do have harder jobs much much harder jobs but the idea of a union is concrete across the classes .. we need em unfortunitly but we do..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts