VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
I was being a bit sarcastic since the only people who will be able to afford is "overpriced toy for white-collar commuters" with ADM dealerships want to charge (mine wants +20k on my reservation, no thanks)
Some of the richest people I know personally are builders and developers, and they all drive pickups as their day to day vehicles.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I just read an article yesterday discussing Stellantis' CEOs thoughts on the upcoming battery shortage. 🍿

·
Registered
CarTruck, Wagon, HellKidHauler
11,859 Posts
Some of the richest people I know personally are builders and developers, and they all drive pickups as their day to day vehicles.
true. + a business is paying then who cares about adm. If i was young, i'd snag some of these and start eco-friendly lawn care business and charge a premium.

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
20,273 Posts
I just read an article yesterday discussing Stellantis' CEOs thoughts on the upcoming battery shortage. 🍿
And I just read one about how GM (as will a few other NA manufacturers) will be buying all its battery materials from California, where the Salton Sea is expected to generate more than 600,000 tons of Lithium annually starting in 2024. That's more than the entire annual world production right now.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2022 Ford F150 (ordered)
4,084 Posts
true. + a business is paying then who cares about adm. If i was young, i'd snag some of these and start eco-friendly lawn care business and charge a premium.
I like this idea. (y)

·
Registered
47,964 Posts
In the right area that could be huge. Electric mowers charge on the truck, electric trimmers and whatnot, too. Everything would be quieter, which would be a good selling point... As long as you could have a mower that'd do the job while running on electrons.

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
In the right area that could be huge. Electric mowers charge on the truck, electric trimmers and whatnot, too. Everything would be quieter, which would be a good selling point... As long as you could have a mower that'd do the job while running on electrons.
My personal low end Ryobi mower sucks balls and I hate it, but I’m sure you can get much much better electric mowers that I was too cheap to buy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My son and I were out for a walk last nigh having exactly the same discussion, as we saw all of the landscaping trucks in our neighborhood and the noise/pollution they create. Here's the one hole in that plan: the truck has to go back to the business to charge. I know a lot seem to let the "crew boss" take the truck home at night..... that complicates the centralized charging a bit.

·
Registered
47,964 Posts
My personal low end Ryobi mower sucks balls and I hate it, but I’m sure you can get much much better electric mowers that I was too cheap to buy.
Yeah, that's why I'm still running a gasser. On the retail end there's nothing that's out there (except maybe some exotic high-end stuff) that could do my yard. My neighbor bought a rechargeable electric push mower and it takes three sessions for him to do his yard. I just laughed when he got it, as he always waits too long to mow his grass and has to fight through it. I await the day of affordable and practical riding mowers that run on batteries. Swoon!

My son and I were out for a walk last nigh having exactly the same discussion, as we saw all of the landscaping trucks in our neighborhood and the noise/pollution they create. Here's the one hole in that plan: the truck has to go back to the business to charge. I know a lot seem to let the "crew boss" take the truck home at night..... that complicates the centralized charging a bit.
That's solved with one sentence. "Feel free to take the truck home, just make sure it comes back with a full charge." 🍺

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
Here in FL works. Large homes + small flat yards + everyone uses lawncare companies (and complains about noise all day)

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2022 Ford F150 (ordered)
4,084 Posts
Here in FL works. Large homes + small flat yards + everyone uses lawncare companies (and complains about noise all day)
For me it would be nice to have Lightning plow trucks roaming around when it snows. The woman across the street from us uses a company for lawncare and snow removal. They have the most rotted POS first gen Super Duty. They usually clear her driveway at around midnight. It's obscene how disruptive it is.

·
Registered
47,964 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like cake. It's wildly different than the Southern Indiana model. The cost of living is low, so the price to get started with all new electric equipment would be harder to get a ROI, plus everything is hills, the land moves over time due to erosion, hills, oddly shaped and large lots because of the terrain, and hills. :)

Neither. It’s the model that runs on cordless drill batteries. My lot is a postage stamp, so I thought it would be adequate, but it’s really not great.
It sounds like it will be a while before I have an electric, as I'm not ever going to use a mower that isn't self-propelled. My lot would be exhausting since I'm all but forced to go up and down the hill, and it's a loooong hill. Going the other way doesn't work, as the shape of the yard would dictate I'd spend all of my time turning around. At least I get a good workout mowing the grass, even though it's self-propelled!

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
Yeah, that's why I'm still running a gasser. On the retail end there's nothing that's out there (except maybe some exotic high-end stuff) that could do my yard. My neighbor bought a rechargeable electric push mower and it takes three sessions for him to do his yard. I just laughed when he got it, as he always waits too long to mow his grass and has to fight through it. I await the day of affordable and practical riding mowers that run on batteries. Swoon!

That's solved with one sentence. "Feel free to take the truck home, just make sure it comes back with a full charge." 🍺
Outfits down here will give you a discount if they are already cutting a few homes on the street. "let me plug into your house discount" while i'm mowing 10 yards + trailer and panels topping off those EGO batteries. (whether EGO can handle commercial usage). Someone will figure it out soon once these hit the street.

·
25,502 Posts
Sure, but that doesn't change the frustration of listening to Ford brag and brag about the "holy cow can you believe it?!?!" "$40k EV F-150" if folks really can't buy one, and maybe not for years, anywhere close to that number.
🤷 everyone does it. How many 58k C8 corvette's do you think they sold? Or for that matter the lease special strippers that most manufacturers advertise that can never be found?

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
40,618 Posts
For me it would be nice to have Lightning plow trucks roaming around when it snows. The woman across the street from us uses a company for lawncare and snow removal. They have the most rotted POS first gen Super Duty. They usually clear her driveway at around midnight. It's obscene how disruptive it is.
The bulk of that noise is the blade on the pavement though, not the truck (unless it's running glass packs).

Given the significant range effect that cold weather and towing/hauling have on EVs, I can't imagine a scenario where it would make any sense on a snowplow truck (which is also usually full of sand)

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
It sounds like it will be a while before I have an electric, as I'm not ever going to use a mower that isn't self-propelled. My lot would be exhausting since I'm all but forced to go up and down the hill, and it's a loooong hill. Going the other way doesn't work, as the shape of the yard would dictate I'd spend all of my time turning around. At least I get a good workout mowing the grass, even though it's self-propelled!
You might be surprised. My mower is so light it would be ridiculous for it to be self propelled. Like getting a self propelled push broom. Thing can’t weigh more than 25-30lbs.

And honestly that’s one reason I don’t like it, my lot isn’t perfectly flat, I have random divots and such, nothing bad but enough that it jostles a lightweight mower off course leading to sloppy rows; my old Craftsman gasser would have no problem and my rows were always perfectly straight. Main reason I went electric was because I wanted to free up garage space and hang the mower on the wall.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
40,618 Posts
🤷 everyone does it. How many 58k C8 corvette's do you think they sold? Or for that matter the lease special strippers that most manufacturers advertise that can never be found?
"Everyone does it" doesn't mean potential buyers, can't feel some level of frustration over it. ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I see the appeal for the residential contractor. Easy charging of small tools, chop saw, table saw, lighting, etc. Lockable frunk...

21 - 40 of 92 Posts