VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an auto dimming mirror for sale? The filament in mine was bad so I ripped the old one out and I have been told that in order to replace my windshield I need to have the same mirror. Something to do with the glass shape, not sure. Anyway, would love to hear if somebody has one.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Anyone have an auto dimming mirror for sale? The filament in mine was bad so I ripped the old one out and I have been told that in order to replace my windshield I need to have the same mirror. Something to do with the glass shape, not sure. Anyway, would love to hear if somebody has one.
Normal mirrors require a "button" on the windshield and there is a black circle on/in the windshield glass.

Auto-dim mirrors (with rain sensor) have an open ring (with clear glass) where the windshield slides on with the rain (gel) sensor in the middle.

What color is your auto-dim mirror housing?

I may have some options to help.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Dont mean to thread jack but do all auto dimming mirrors have a rain sensor?

I need to replace mine that's stuck in night mode. But now I am not sure what I need to look for lol

Thanks all!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can also try using a Passat auto dimming mirror. I went to pick n pull and found one because the ones on all the Jetta's were manual. The Passat had the same pigtail as the Jetta. I had to paint it black to match, but on the upside to the Passat mirror, the mirror had ambient lighting!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Dont mean to thread jack but do all auto dimming mirrors have a rain sensor?

I need to replace mine that's stuck in night mode. But now I am not sure what I need to look for lol

Thanks all!
Well, not all auto-dimming are also rain sensing, but I believe the MK4 only came with both rain sensing and auto-dimming, unless they were normal/manual mirrors.

You can retro fit an auto-dimming (non-rain sensing) into an MK4 that was manual, as the use the same mounts. Rain sensing use a different mount.

Looking from the outside, the MK4 (& Passat B5) mount for a rain sensing is an open circle, while the non-rain sensing is solid/button.

There's an outside view picture int his thread that might help

Or this thread might help

I collected and created several different options over the years as I looked for the "best" mirror option for me and my 3 Jetta Wagons (1 rain sensing, 2 normal/manual).

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks for all the info. The GTI is in winter storage so next time I see it I can take look. Thanks!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts