VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must be a manual. Ideally I want under 80k with the timing belt maint done. 1.8 or 3.0. Ideally closer to stock but dont mind a nice exhaust/stage 1. not picky with color avant would be a plus. I am in MN would have no problem flying out and driving home. a little picky amount the condition IM LOOKING for one thats been loved and kept clean so it needs to look like it.

thanks guise! it would be going to a great new home.

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
gluck bump for you!

We just bought our own 2004 1.8t 6spd manual Ultrasport last weekend!!!! (ours has 90k miles FWIW)

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
^ after our research, we wanted nothing to do with the 3.0 and sought out a 1.8t.

The HIDs have a known issue with the leveling motors so make sure that isn't an issue (expensive replacement motor).

The 1.8t is the known sludge issue so do the best you can to make sure there isn't nasty sludge in the motor (if good receipts on oil changes, that is ideal). In our case we don't have good oil change records other than the word of the seller so we will be dropping the oil pan to check for sludging and if present, change the oil pump after cleaning everything out but it ran fine so hopefully we are okay.

You are in the right price range though because everything we looked at was priced at $10,500 to $14k but there is a local one at $12,500 we felt too many issues to even look at given the price (red with cracked windshield and other issues)

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
^ I'm sure patience will pay off and you'll find exactly what you want soon enough. People eventually sell for all sorts of reasons :beer:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
^ even with only 90k miles, we are replacing a bunch-o-stuff (fuel filter this weekend for example) so ANY used USP you should really plan on basic stuff to do if you don't have receipts provided for it

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
^ if someone with 140k+ has really great maintenance records, I wouldn't shy away but I guess that might just be me... Our former 98 A4 b5 Quattro had 155k when we got it and 164k when we sold it over a year later and was in fantastic shape with a huge stack of receipts to go with it to the happy new owner (all in how you keep up on maintenance).. when looking at b5s at the time we bought ours, we saw really trashed ones with less than 60k miles that made our former 160k+ mile one seem like it had less than 60k miles..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
found a decent one in CA he wants 14k, at 73k miles. It has some decent neuspeed mods and stage one as well as 2k stereo he said. But he said it has a slight "seal leak" that is insignificant..lol what is he talking about? and what would it cost me

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.