VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a stock 2014 key fab for gli. Planning to install a remote starter and need another key...dealer wants too much

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I agree, the cost of keys is crazy. But sorry, long story short, if you want a functioning key fob, like those that came with the car, you have to get it from a dealership and it has to be programmed by a VW Tech at a VW Dealership. It sucks, but there is no other way around it.

I have this same conversation around 3 times a day.

·
Registered
463 Posts
should be able to program a non-remote master key (or just a chip). Seek out an automotive locksmith, qualified ones will be able to help you out.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should be able to program a non-remote master key (or just a chip). Seek out an automotive locksmith, qualified ones will be able to help you out.
I ordered a key from keylessentryremotefob.com and I am assuming it's a used key because they advised me that the blade had been cut. I don't need the blade as my car is push start. I'm crossing my fingers that I van get it programmed to work on my car. I spoke to a local locksmith and he advised me that the key needs to be a virgin chip.
Keeping my fingers crossed.....

·
Registered
463 Posts
I ordered a key from keylessentryremotefob.com and I am assuming it's a used key because they advised me that the blade had been cut. I don't need the blade as my car is push start. I'm crossing my fingers that I van get it programmed to work on my car. I spoke to a local locksmith and he advised me that the key needs to be a virgin chip.
Keeping my fingers crossed.....
more than likely it has been programmed - regardless it would have been 'precoded' to work on a car if already cut so you're out of luck on that one. If you're doing a remote start just ask if that locksmith has any chips, you can program a single chip to that car without the need to cycle the ignition and that small chip can be put inside a box for the remote start

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
more than likely it has been programmed - regardless it would have been 'precoded' to work on a car if already cut so you're out of luck on that one. If you're doing a remote start just ask if that locksmith has any chips, you can program a single chip to that car without the need to cycle the ignition and that small chip can be put inside a box for the remote start
Any idea on which chip? Where can I get this?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Any idea on which chip? Where can I get this?
id48 CAN chip

have to find an automotive locksmith with the proper tools though (there are ways other than the dealership, just have to have the right equipment)

IM me for more details

·
Registered
463 Posts
It's a waste of your time and money. Even if you get the immobo chip Volkswagen won't/can't just give you the chip code, rendering it absolutely useless.

But don't pay attention to me, I only work for a Volkswagen Dealership in Parts. :screwy:
it can be done, whether you believe it or not........

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a waste of your time and money. Even if you get the immobo chip Volkswagen won't/can't just give you the chip code, rendering it absolutely useless.

But don't pay attention to me, I only work for a Volkswagen Dealership in Parts. :screwy:
Done!!!! Thx to......mkiv1.8tJetta ! Thank you very much!!
Great price and great service!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.