VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP: taking a short shifter poll. can't decide on which one

in the market for a short shifter (02 bora 1.8T) looking for any suggestions ?
feel free to add any that i didnt. you can list which ones are the most reputible and which ones to avoid. thanks.

Modified by silvrStorm at 5:54 AM 2-18-2004

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Re: WTB ? looking to buy a short shifter (silvrStorm)

Everyone praises the DG...I would go that one. Not a bad price also... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
384 Posts

From my understanding, the DG side to side piece, the NS front to back piece along with the B+M pivot inside the car is the shiznit, sorry Snoop. I know it is pricey to do all of them, but that will give you an amazingly tight gearbox feel. I am going that route in the spring.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Re: WTB ? looking to buy a short shifter (Cluemanti)

Quote, originally posted by Cluemanti »
Everyone praises the DG...I would go that one. Not a bad price also... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

damn right!

·
Registered
223 Posts

I purchased and installed a Dieselgeek short shift kit this past weekend.
Install was easy, throws are shortened nicely...I personally like shorter throws than the kit provides, but still a big improvement over stock.
One problem, and I emailed him, the nail he sent to lock the shifter in the neutral position was too big for my 2002 1.8T Jetta.
I had another nail that was the right size, so not a big deal.
Taking the airbox out makes it real easy.
I could do it in probably half the time now, 30 minutes, compared to the 1 hour it took my first time installing.
Overall, the price is right, all new parts for the linkage included and greased...overall a nice kit and works well.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts

I have the Audi TT one. It's cheap, OEM, and although not drastic, the change in shift throw is significant enough to enhance your driving experience.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm

i was originally leaning towards the b&m but i feel myself being swayed towards the DG. i've yet to hear any complaints with an exception to b&m's website (they trashed neuspeed & DG's workmanship, of course). dubbers, i appreciate this and i'll be checking this for the next day or so. later

Modified by silvrStorm at 2:16 AM 2-18-2004

·
Registered
576 Posts
Re: WTB ? looking to buy a short shifter (TRBO-GTI)

Quote, originally posted by TRBO-GTI »
I have the Audi TT one. It's cheap, OEM, and although not drastic, the change in shift throw is significant enough to enhance your driving experience.

How was the install on that? I'm thinking about getting one from Performace-Cafe (i think they're the closest VW shop that sells one) but would like to know how easy/hard it is to do.
TIA for any input U can provide...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Re: WTB ? looking to buy a short shifter (TRBO-GTI)

Quote, originally posted by TRBO-GTI »

Do you know any place in montreal where i can find one?

·
Registered
321 Posts
How difficult are Short Shifters to install? Like, basically, what do you hafta do? I wanna get one, and possibly doit myself. Or I can get my neighbor to help me out... I'm not looking to spend much $$ on that, but I like the feel of short shifts...

·
Registered
607 Posts
does anyone have any pics of the b&m actually installed, ive seen the product shots but i wanna see that damn knob in action before i decide, much appreciated

·
Registered
35,225 Posts
Re: WTB ? looking to buy a short shifter (marcspez)

Quote, originally posted by marcspez »
From my understanding, the DG side to side piece, the NS front to back piece along with the B+M pivot inside the car is the shiznit, sorry Snoop. I know it is pricey to do all of them, but that will give you an amazingly tight gearbox feel. I am going that route in the spring.

I would have to say that this would be the all time best set-up. But with the money one would spend on this, you could get a t3-t4

DG= $190
NS= $190
B&M= $160
You do the math.......
Edit-typed in wrong info.

Modified by CapeGLS at 7:30 PM 2-19-2004

·
Registered
576 Posts
Re: WTB ? looking to buy a short shifter (CapeGLS)

now..before you say anything..remember I don't know much about VW's so don't laugh to hard when you read this but....what's a t40e?...I'm taking a stab in the dark that it has to be a turbo or something...right?
<inserts ear plugs for the amount laughter that is about to heard>

·
Registered
18,602 Posts
Re: (jrod1313)

Quote, originally posted by jrod1313 »
does anyone have any pics of the b&m actually installed, ive seen the product shots but i wanna see that damn knob in action before i decide, much appreciated

Ask and yea shall reieve!

I really like it, plus I have it mated to a C1 short shifter.

·
Registered
607 Posts
you kick arse, thank you, so now do you have to pull up to get to reverse? im a little sketchy on that, the knob starts out ok, than that whole plateau thing gets to me though, still will probably end up this route, i appreciate the pics!!!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Re: WTB ? looking to buy a short shifter (CapeGLS)

Quote, originally posted by CapeGLS »

I would have to say that this would be the all time best set-up. But with the money one would spend on this, you could get a t3-t4

DG= $190
NS= $190
B&M= $160
You do the math.......

The Dieselgeek shifter is actually $140, shipped. (Priority Mail)

·
Registered
35,225 Posts
Re: WTB ? looking to buy a short shifter (jroyston)

Quote, originally posted by jroyston »

The Dieselgeek shifter is actually $140, shipped. (Priority Mail)

What was the deal with the $50 core fee? If one did not want to return their shifter it would be the $190 cost that I posted. Correct?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Re: WTB ? looking to buy a short shifter (VdoubleUFreak)

Quote, originally posted by VdoubleUFreak »

How was the install on that? I'm thinking about getting one from Performace-Cafe (i think they're the closest VW shop that sells one) but would like to know how easy/hard it is to do.
TIA for any input U can provide...

I posted this three years ago for everyone to use: http://www.dieselgeek.com/five_race_install.htm

1 - 20 of 42 Posts