VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for the rear view mirror - the kind with the stem with the electronics that lead up into the headliner - not interested in the electronics though, just need a mirror that fits
2000 GTIGLX V6

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I have a couple, but are you looking for gray or tan?

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grey I guess, my GTI is blackout black, but I just want a mirror, not too comfy without one. can you maybe post a pic? and how much to zip 12203? thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Ok, no problem. I'll try to find some pics I took previously and PM you, otherwise I'll have to get to my storage unit and take some fresh pics.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The picture of the black mirror with the gray bezel surround is from a newer MKV or Passat B6 with the larger (different than MK4) rain sensor mount/bracket.

I have swapped that style onto the mount for an MK4, but it requires some disassembly - it's not "plug and play".

Here's an example of a different Frankenstein'ed mirror onto an MK4 rain sensing mount

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, I took it off of my 2000 GTI, so.....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ACTUALLY you are correct! I humbly apologise - I uploaded the wrong pic,the result of desperate searching. here is the pic of my mirror:

part number and all. and the mount. there is a stem that comes down from the headline with the electrics in it, which I do not care about. I just want a good mirror.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RexNICO
can you comment? you are the only one who seems to know..any idea where I can get one of these that doesn't cost $300 or more, which is what I've been finding..
the mount is exactly like in your post.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Sorry, for the confusion earlier, you had me wondering if someone had swapped an MK5/6 mirror and rain sensor base onto your car???

I'm pretty sure I have (I'll check garage Saturday) an all grey that will fit the windshield mount you posted above. I may have created something all black that uses the mount as well.

PM me an email or cell and I'll send pics tomorrow. Whatever I have will be much more affordable than $300, most likely a fraction.

Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ah, thanks so much! I have no idea about the swap - the car came with that mirror.. don't care about the sensor, just want a mirror to see behind me. I've had it a little les than a year.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I found a MK4 rain mount base and a manual mirror and created a manual (lever on the bottom) mirror that you can mount in your car. You should still be able to use your rain sensor and rain sensing feature.

PM me an address and I'll get it shipped out Monday.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue. My OEM had all the liquid showing in the mirror and was difficult to see. I swapped an auto-dimming Passat mirror with the same base and works wonderfully. I have my old mirror if needed, but has all the liquid.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ah, thanks for you consideration, chicosito, but I am getting one from RexNICO. thanks for you kindness tho!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Sorry for not responding sooner. I had to work on my GTI and strained a muscle in my back, I've been laid up a few days now. Glad to hear you were able to get what you needed though.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no worries - I appreciate ya - I'm beside myself glad to see the VW community returning to its roots, just helping one another.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it's here! and exactly like my old one, just as you said it would be! - I haven't put it on yet, just tried it up there, it's an exact fit. THANK YOU THANK YOU from Smudge ( my GTI ) and me! You are the BEST!!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Glad to hear it arrived safely.

Yes, it should "fit" just like the old one, and you can snap your covers over the mount.

Just remember it's a manual mirror now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yep yep! I'll post a pic when it's up. it's supposed to be warm tomorrow ( 40's !) so I think I'll try it then.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts