VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
dang, and I was going to advertise something else...

for the record, let people know if you're interested in a longbox or shortbox

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (vee_dubb_ya)

dang I must be

What is the difference?
It would be replacing the stock 5 speed tranny in my 83 Jetta Wolfsburg. I guess IDK what it has.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
oh, a "shortbox" gearing is close-ratio but it to me it sounds like the engine is revving too high and going to blow around 110-115km/h, much better for inner-city driving... a "longbox" has taller gearing better for highway driving, I can get my car up to 140km/h...I just don't know the tranny codes for you

·
Registered
490 Posts
Re: WTB: Sexy tranny (DiRTAE)

You will want to look under the tranny for the code. It will be on the bellhousing side on the bottom (as it would be if installed on the engine). There will be 2 or 3 letter code. The numbers after are the production date. Yours will more likely be an FF or FN. Those trannys are long gears. Very good for cruising, not acceleration. Your tranny will also probably have 90mm drive flanges vs 100mm of the newer style 020s. If you're looking for quick acceleration, you will want a 4k or 2h that came on GTIs. If you want a good mid range tranny and keep your engine stock, a 9A tranny would work well (more on this below). I wouldn't recommend a FF or FN tranny for the 1.7 engine unless you do some work to it. There isn't enough HP on that engine to really get a decent push especially in the 4th to 5th gear. You probably wouldn't be able to use them anyway, since they are gear so long.
The 9A will either have to have the drive flanges changed, or you can upgrade to the 85+ cabriolet/scirocco 16v axles since the 9A has 100mm size flanges.
You have a lot of choices on what style tranny to use. But you will need to figure out what you will be doing to your engine, if anything, and how much HP/torque you would like to produce with it, and go from there. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by vdubcab86 at 6:21 AM 8-15-2009

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Re: WTB: Sexy tranny (vdubcab86)

Quote, originally posted by vdubcab86 »
You will want to look under the tranny for the code. It will be on the bellhousing side on the bottom (as it would be if installed on the engine). There will be 2 or 3 letter code. The numbers after are the production date. Yours will more likely be an FF or FN. Those trannys are long gears. Very good for cruising, not acceleration. Your tranny will also probably have 90mm drive flanges vs 100mm of the newer style 020s. If you're looking for quick acceleration, you will want a 4k or 2h that came on GTIs. If you want a good mid range tranny and keep your engine stock, a 9A tranny would work well (more on this below). I wouldn't recommend a FF or FN tranny for the 1.7 engine unless you do some work to it. There isn't enough HP on that engine to really get a decent push especially in the 4th to 5th gear. You probably wouldn't be able to use them anyway, since they are gear so long.
The 9A will either have to have the drive flanges changed, or you can upgrade to the 85+ cabriolet/scirocco 16v axles since the 9A has 100mm size flanges.
You have a lot of choices on what style tranny to use. But you will need to figure out what you will be doing to your engine, if anything, and how much HP/torque you would like to produce with it, and go from there. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by vdubcab86 at 6:21 AM 8-15-2009

Good info here...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.