VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ignore the troll who created an account just to harass my wtb posts. Thanks
How dare you. I am a contributing member of these forums.

My apologies if you feel like I am interfering with your attempt to swindle a buyer into selling you a car below market value.

To anyone out there who might have a low mileage original car, I’ll pay more for it than this sti character will, so please PM me. Or better yet put the car on Bring a Trailer and post the link!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I gave up looking and bought the Mk3 ABF 16V that was on bringatrailer about a year ago with low miles. Look at GTI history and you'll see that only a couple Mk2s have been posted on there since the site started. Crazy IMHO. Lots of Mk 1s and very few Mk2s. This place is essentially dead and your best bet is Facebook Marketplace or one of the Facebook groups.

Also, WTB posts rarely work. I've sold thousands of things online over the last 20 years and not a single time did I search for a WTB listing before offering it for sale.

·
Registered
1991 Volkswagen GTI 16v mk2
325 Posts
Your best bet both of you is to do what I did too find mine, check Facebook marketplace hourly and see about people on Instagram with the cars, or just wait for a bring a trailer listing

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have 92 GLI 16V. Was my daily car before I put it into garage. Just thinking: is it worth to try to sell it or just send to the local junk yard? Eventually I will need to make a decision: too many cars around and not enough garage spaces for all of them. Mostly original, even with AC. Wolfsburg edition but I don't see any difference except small badge.

Another car is 87 GTI 16v. But engine was bad so I put 9A in it.

Both are running but with the age like that there will be always problems here and there. So I am not sure do they worth anything? I am in MA.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have 92 GLI 16V. Was my daily car before I put it into garage. Just thinking: is it worth to try to sell it or just send to the local junk yard? Eventually I will need to make a decision: too many cars around and not enough garage spaces for all of them. Mostly original, even with AC. Wolfsburg edition but I don't see any difference except small badge.

Both are running but with the age like that there will be always problems here and there. So I am not sure do they worth anything? I am in MA.
Sent you a message.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Unless they're rotted beyond repair please save them

·
Registered
41 Posts
Really dude? Jacking my thread
So not only were two posts on a thread insufficient but a DM was also required? I'm sure both cars were of interest to you considering the GTI is outside your year range/not original and the one that is a 92 is a GLI.
Thanks for the insult on my cars too. I'll be sure shake your hand if I ever meet you at a show.

·
Registered
1991 Volkswagen GTI 16v mk2
325 Posts
With all that money just import a mint 16v from Europe? you obviously have the cash, you are not going to find these cars documented like you want, these cars go through so many owners and so many have been treated badly, Europe knows how to take care of these cars, and if you like the US cars put the US recaro interior in. Not sure what country's in Europe have left hand drive vws though, but it seems like the US will probably not have what your looking for. I feel like 40,000 is a lot for a mk2 unless it is literally the perfect condition with no miles, looks like it came right out of the factory

·
Registered
161 Posts
Low-mile cars are out there in hiding, but it's going to take a public big sale of one before they start coming out of the woodwork. 4 years ago I found an all original, 1 owner 84 GTI with 40k miles on it that wasn't yet for sale. Thankfully that was before the market on those got stupid. You just have to know where to look. Though, in my case, luck was most of the reason I found it so I'm not going to pat myself on the back for being clever.

Modified Mk2 cars are starting to show up on BaT so I can only assume that the Mk2 trend will continue. Whether we like it or not, BaT has the power to move markets, and when that happens they will start showing up. It could be a year or two but who knows. Hopefully someone will read this thread and know of a friend of a friend who is selling one. Definitely hope it happens for you, though.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
There has been ZERO 91-92 GTI 16Vs that have been listed on Bring A Trailer since the site began. A 1990 16V GTI sold on Bring a Trailer in 2020 for $8000 but it was a rusty pile of crap and was in Canada.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
At this point, sadly, the Bosch Motronic fuel injection systems are starting to show their age. By that I mean, fall apart, leak, fail, etc... due to age. And the vast majority of parts are no longer available.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With all that money just import a mint 16v from Europe? you obviously have the cash, you are not going to find these cars documented like you want, these cars go through so many owners and so many have been treated badly, Europe knows how to take care of these cars, and if you like the US cars put the US recaro interior in. Not sure what country's in Europe have left hand drive vws though, but it seems like the US will probably not have what your looking for. I feel like 40,000 is a lot for a mk2 unless it is literally the perfect condition with no miles, looks like it came right out of the factory
Your young and don’t know what your talking about. I have the contact for the original owner of an 1992 16v with 25,000 miles. The car is in nice shape - not as nice as it should be for a 15k mile car. I offered him more money than 99.9999% of people would and he refuses to sell. Wants to die with that car. Some people would rather hold on and get robbed in the grave than to sell and make sure it’s in good hands and not left to be sold in a estate sale or for a family member to neglect and destroy.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and just a little tidbit for you - outside of grey market cars that can’t come in until 25 Y/O, European spec cars are worth substantially less than USA spec cars if they where sold here to. There’s a few exceptions - manual 850R wagons,for one example - but generally us spec cars pull the $$$

1 - 20 of 39 Posts