VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first manual and I am not having slipage yet, but I have seen some others saying that their clutches are going at like 30k miles. This is not covered by warranty right? Someone said I'll be spending 800 bucks to replace? That is insane. What is the life expectancy of an average worn stock VW clutch? I only have 12k now so I'm not too worried but I feel that since I am doing stop go driving every day and in my 1st manual, I could be looking at only 30k out of my clutch. That sucks...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: WTF? If my clutch starts slipping, will it be an $800 job to replace? (ALPHA_NUMERIC)

Unfortunatly the stock clutch is not able to hold the power offered by common mods, if you run full boost around 2800-3400 rpm alot you will eventually experience slippage, mine started @ 32k miles. I have block 120 log of slippage, loooks funny!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: WTF? If my clutch starts slipping, will it be an $800 job to replace? (r6supafly)

Are there any good aftermarket clutches that will be cheaper and better?

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: WTF? If my clutch starts slipping, will it be an $800 job to replace? (ALPHA_NUMERIC)

There's lotsa good clutches that are better.
But good stuff isn't cheap. Run hard w/50%+ power increases will certainly cut short the life of the stock clutch.
Such is the nature of the game. You can always try to get warranty work if it's not modded, but I think the clutch falls under wear item.

·
Premium Member
2013 Audi TT RS; 2019 VW Golf R
8,908 Posts

I think you'll notice a majority of failed clutches come from first time manual transmission drivers.. coincidence? don't think so..
Don't ride the clutch

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: WTF? If my clutch starts slipping, will it be an $800 job to replace? (caj1)

I don't ride it at all. The first 2 weeks were bad but I think I drive really well now. It's hard not to wear the hell out of a clutch driving on the D.C beltway 5 days a week. It's stop go the whole time. Will a new clutch aid in smoother shifts or is that all on the tranny? I definately noticed that the Acuras and Hondas shift ten times smoother than my car. If I don't let the clutch out just right in second, my car jerks forward really hard. It's pretty annoying. I have to almost shift, let it out halfway, wait a second and then let it out the rest. It seems too sensative. Will a better clutch make it smoother?

·
Registered
713 Posts

When I had my Si, I had to replace the clutch at 10K miles
Too much drag racing
And it was only $300 + parts.
Dennis

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Re: WTF? If my clutch starts slipping, will it be an $800 job to replace? (TrboJetta18T)

If your stock clutch goes in under 12k miles then it will most likely be replaced under warranty. However, anything after 12k miles is your problem as the clutch is a wear item. As far as the cost to replace, $800 gets you a stronger clutch/pressure plate and lightened flywheel. The OEM parts shouldn't be nearly that much.

·
Registered
284 Posts

I have 29K miles on my car, and its starting to slip. Blame it on the MODS!! LOL

·
Registered
2,913 Posts

I have 47,000+ miles on my stock clutch. No signs of slippage.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Re: WTF? If my clutch starts slipping, will it be an $800 job to replace? (Overdrive)

first time manual drivers... definately the name of the game..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts