VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

that black ish is making me mad, me thinks i will get a new muffler and tip put on that will divert that crap down instead of up, but is there a mechanical problem here??
thanks

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Re: WTF is this and what can i do about it? (vwsport20)

1. Your hatchback has a tendency to draw air upwards at the read end of the vehicle. That's why most hatchbacks get so dirty at the back and come with wipers for the rear window. It's not from water or dirt coming over the top of the vehicle, but from under it.
2. You appear to have a 2.0 litre 8V. Which of course burns oil. That oil going out your exhaust. See #1.
3. You may not have your tips extended past your valence enough.
4. Your car is white and just makes 1-3 worse than any other car.
Good luck. I don't think changing the tips are going to help too much. Are those DTM style tips?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: WTF is this and what can i do about it? (jettanjax)

ALERT! Maybe the dealer sold you a TDI rebadged as a 2.0. Only Diesel's are suppose to put smoke marks on your bumper. J/K
seriously I have never known any engine to do that other than diesels "Service Time"....

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Re: WTF is this and what can i do about it? (jaydub)

quote:[HR][/HR]My friend's turbo ITR has that same problem[HR][/HR]​
problem? yummm. ITRT. but you may be running rich for some reason. ie. maf. i run rich with plenty of soot on my tip but at least it doesnt start flying up. check to see if you have any codes with vagcom, even if you dont have cel. some codes- richness, would not be set off cel light until other codes exist. for me - im guessing intake manifold and maf.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Re: WTF is this and what can i do about it? (O_loung1)

As mentioned earlier, it is exhaust soot. A problem? Maybe; maybe not.
My '00 VR6 has been depositing soot on the tailpipe tips since it was new. However, after nearly 40,000 miles I haven't had a related "check engine" light, my performance is still excellent and the fuel mileage is correct as well. So I try not to worry about it and I wipe off the tailpipes when I wash the car.
You can get it checked by a VAG-COM or dealer service computer to see if anything is wrong. Good luck with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.