VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title states, I have a Rally Yellow 2dr Dasher coupe I'd like to trade for a 1976 Scirocco.
Car has about 85k on it, and runs and drives.
Brand new Falken tires on it and a NOS windshield not installed.
There is rust on the passenger rocker and rear quarter behind the wheel.
No pan rot that I've seen.
Looking for a 1976 only Scirocco with no rot, but can have no engine or interior, etc..
PM with any interest and I'll send over some pics.
Dasher is located in Denver Colorado

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
As the title states, I have a Rally Yellow 2dr Dasher coupe I'd like to trade for a 1976 Scirocco.
Looking for a 1976 only Scirocco with no rot, but can have no engine or interior, etc..
Dasher is located in Denver Colorado
With the forum update, you can post pictures directly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dasher is located in Denver Colorado View attachment 56200 View attachment 56201

·
Registered
565 Posts
Dasher is located in Denver Colorado View attachment 56200 View attachment 56201
I have to ask what's so different from your 1974 Scirocco in regards to the 1976 Scirocco that you're looking for that you want so much? The body styles are the same from 1974 to 1981.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have to ask what's so different from your 1974 Scirocco in regards to the 1976 Scirocco that you're looking for that you want so much? The body styles are the same from 1974 to 1981.
I don't have a 1974 Scirocco, but to answer your question...Nothing is overly different between a 74 and 76, just that I was born in 1976. :)

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
North America didn't get the 1974 Scirocco. I think that 1974 was the last year for the Karmann Ghia.

I'm not sure if 1974 was the first model year or the first year of production.

Our first model year for the Scirocco was 1975. It had a 1.5 Liter engine with a carburetor. There are some unique features to this model year. There are people who only want the 1975.

1976 got the 1.6 Liter engine and single front wiper. It was also the year I graduated from High School.

1977 saw the Scirocco and Rabbit get CIS Fuel Injection.

1978 got updated styling with plastic covered wrap-around bumpers, chrome plated trim around the grille and on the top edge of the tail lights, fake wood on the dashboard to replace the silver paint and carpet on the lower edge of the inner door panels. It got a plastic two-piece front spoiler that popped off if your Scirocco got towed because you parked 6" into a no-parking zone at a concert.

Road & Track or Car & Driver said the '78 looked more up-market (or words to that effect). The engine got de-stroked to 1.47 Liters. It was called a 1.5 but was different from the earlier 1.5 in that it was really a de-stroked 1.6. I believe it was over-square. It was a real revving engine but unfortunately VW used a cast crankshaft. As far as I know, it's the only water cooled engine VW ever made with a cast crank. The Champagne Edition II was white with a front air damn that looked like a Kamei air damn.

The 1979 - 1981 looked the same externally as the 1978.

1980 and 1981 had S models which had black plastic dashboard trim and red trim. They also got striped sporty seat upholstery. They also got the same front air dam as the 1978 Champagne Edition II.

Some prefer the original version, some prefer the updated styling.

There is a thread with a really nice looking red 1975 in the forum. It has the TV screen headlights which were what the base versions got in Europe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts