VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone done this. i know people put ABA blocks under 8v heads but has anyone done the opposite. it's not something i'm trying to do or anything, just curious.
pic for the views

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Re: x-flow head on mk2 8v (slomofo.)

i havent heard of it.
I dont want to start any wars, i just dont see the benefit of a crossflow head over a counterflow head other than the manifolds being on the same side ( negative being heat)
I can only see the crossflow theory being beneficial if engines ran with both valves open at the same time

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Re: x-flow head on mk2 8v (slomofo.)

Ya, you can put a x-flow on a 1.8.
and x-flow heads flow better than counter flow heads.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Re: x-flow head on mk2 8v (Coupe__88)

Quote, originally posted by Coupe__88 »
i havent heard of it.
I dont want to start any wars, i just dont see the benefit of a crossflow head over a counterflow head other than the manifolds being on the same side ( negative being heat)
I can only see the crossflow theory being beneficial if engines ran with both valves open at the same time

The crossflow has 7mm valves, vs the counterflow 8mm vavles.
That is a big reason why it flows better.

·
Banned
5,705 Posts
i plan on putting a turbo on my 1.8... when i do its getting a xflow head with a custom intake... i wanna keep as much heat away from the intake side as possible... and it will look cool
wanna see if i can get 250 hp on the ground out of a 1.8 and 15 psi with standalone
Also i don't want my motor setup to be like everyone elses... Complete swaps are for the weak at mind and i'll wave after my 1.8 fly's by them

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Re: (Pred)

here's a weird question that i've been wondering, I have a 1.8 digi head, wit a 2.0 aba block. Would i be able to put a 2.0 8v on there and keep the digifant fuel injection?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Re: (MKII420)

i believe so with the correct injector cups...

Yes, stock for stock I understand the X-flow flows better than the counterflow, but there are those who say that it flows better because the ports are on opposite sides. this doesnt mean a thing. valve opens, air goes out, doesnt matter which side the port is on.

Modified by Coupe__88 at 5:12 PM 10-23-2003

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (Coupe__88)

well, the reason i asked was i was thiking of getting a mk2 and i will have a spare x-flow head once i do my ported head and i was thinking about putting it on the mk2.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Re: (slomofo.)

yeah, itd be something different for sure and no loss to you if you already have the spare head, you will need the 2.0 throttle body and intake manifold.
sorry to hijack the thread , i just wanted to tap in and state something that was on my mind.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Re: (Coupe__88)

dose anyone know what kind of comp. this would have on my 1.late. it's a jh 84gti motor

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: (impulse byer)

Quote, originally posted by impulse byer »
dose anyone know what kind of comp. this would have on my 1.late. it's a jh 84gti motor

The x-flow head has 32cc chambers and the JH has 30cc chambers so you CR would be very slightly lower than the stock JH compression, I have crunched the numbers but it would probably work out to something like 8.2:1.
Aside from the issues that arise from having the intake on the opposite side of the head, there's also a problem with the oil drains on the x-flow head, one of them is oval shaped and will overhang the edge of the JH block, the oval drain hole should be modified to prevent an oil leak. Here's a picture of the oil drains on an x-flow head and a JH head gasket on the X-flow head to illustrate my point.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Re: (ABA Scirocco)

WOW that was great thax!!! and i would try and use a new beetle manifold it's T/B is on the drivers side http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif for the oil drain

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: (impulse byer)

Modifying the oil drain's not really all that big a deal, the oil in that area isn't under any pressure so making it seal there is not all that tough. You've got a few options, the best is to fill in part of the drain with aluminium by tig welding and then have the head resurfaced or you could do the same but using a good quality epoxy instead of metal. Some guys have even had good luck using just the stock ABA head gasket which covers the offending part of the drain but because there's no matching gasket surface on the block below there's still a good potential for an oil leak especially as the head gasket ages.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: (darksideofthemn)

The oil passages on the ABA block aren't any different than they are on a 1.8L or other 2.0L block, what the ABA has is a bit of extra surface area on the deck against which the gasket can seat in the area of that oval oil drain. I'm not sure if the 3A block has this but I suspect not, I'll try and find out for sure.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Re: (darksideofthemn)

Quote, originally posted by darksideofthemn »
what if you use a 3A block with a x-flow head? do the oil passages with that combo line up?

pre 1995 xflow heads will fit the 3a block.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts