VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so,

I know that they are cheap ITB's, but they are not too far off from the real thing. They do need to be played with but the problem that Im having it that they idle at 2500rpm's. I have re-adjusted them to close evenly and open evenly. But they idle at 2500rpms.

Has anyone gotten this far with them and had these particular problems? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a vac leak. I've heard of this happening on the obx stuff
Really? I haven't see any other OBX set ups on here. But yes after all, it is OBX.:)

Make sure the base flange is flat.
checked it with a flat edge. Flat and flat.;)

That middle pic looks like to be at an early stage before you mounted the head and got it running but the idle set screw looks like it hasn't been moved.

I just wanted to make sure that you did try to adjust it.
You are right. I did mount them on the head before going onto the engine. The two center bottom bolt holes were a MF to get to when its all together on the head. All of the yellow marks are from me to make sure that the settings stay. :thumbup:

Thanks for all of the kind suggestions.
Just so you all know. TWM Induction lowered the price on their set ups. My cost $1350.00 8V or 16V. instock!:cool:

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
So with the idle set screw turned all the in and the stop not even touching it, the engine still idles at 2500?

There aren't too many spots where it could be a vacuum leak. Have you tried spraying carb cleaner around the mounting flange or basically around the bodies while the engine is running to see if there is a leak?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update!!!!

Okay so,

I have done about 3hrs. of research and a friend has also helped out. And we came up with this.

DOW CORNING MOLYKOTE 321.

This is used by FORD and Mitsubishi on their throttle bodies. They say to never clean them! If you do clean them, then you need to reapply this stuff to the butterfly/bore. Let it dry and crack open the butterfly, adjust your idle stop screw. Enjoy your low idle setting.

I will install the manifold in the morning along with the new phenolic spacer. (helps keep the fuel rail cool) I bet with the stop screw out all the way, it wont start. Screw in the stop screw until it idles.

:beer::thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update

After allowing the MOLYKOTE 321 to dry over night. I slowly cracked open the butterflies to break the now all closed position with the idle screw out. It started right up and is idling at around 850-1000 rpms. I didn't have much other time to play with the MS tuning today, but will in the morning. Made a dyno appointment and I will report back then.

"candm" came by today with the TWM 16V mani's. And they look really nice and simple. Now I'm starting to mock up a set up in a rabbit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.