VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
UPDATE:

The car has been finished. It made a trip to the dyno and made 153WHP/134WTRQ. The engine's throttle response is amazing. Very snappy, very cool sounding.;)
I will try and post a video later in this thread.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Okay so,

I have done about 3hrs. of research and a friend has also helped out. And we came up with this.

DOW CORNING MOLYKOTE 321.

This is used by FORD and Mitsubishi on their throttle bodies. They say to never clean them! If you do clean them, then you need to reapply this stuff to the butterfly/bore. Let it dry and crack open the butterfly, adjust your idle stop screw. Enjoy your low idle setting.

I will install the manifold in the morning along with the new phenolic spacer. (helps keep the fuel rail cool) I bet with the stop screw out all the way, it wont start. Screw in the stop screw until it idles.

:beer::thumbup::beer:
After allowing the MOLYKOTE 321 to dry over night. I slowly cracked open the butterflies to break the now all closed position with the idle screw out. It started right up and is idling at around 850-1000 rpms. I didn't have much other time to play with the MS tuning today, but will in the morning. Made a dyno appointment and I will report back then.

"candm" came by today with the TWM 16V mani's. And they look really nice and simple. Now I'm starting to mock up a set up in a rabbit.
so how you fixed you idle problem ??
Did you read the previous replies? Sounds like he had air leaking past the butterflies and used the DOW CORNING MOLYKOTE to make the butterflies seal better.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Okay so,

I have done about 3hrs. of research and a friend has also helped out. And we came up with this.

DOW CORNING MOLYKOTE 321.

This is used by FORD and Mitsubishi on their throttle bodies. They say to never clean them! If you do clean them, then you need to reapply this stuff to the butterfly/bore. Let it dry and crack open the butterfly, adjust your idle stop screw. Enjoy your low idle setting.

I will install the manifold in the morning along with the new phenolic spacer. (helps keep the fuel rail cool) I bet with the stop screw out all the way, it wont start. Screw in the stop screw until it idles.

:beer::thumbup::beer:

Made this mistake on a 4G64 Evo VIII build. Chased my tail for 2 days on it.:banghead: Dow 321 is good sh1t.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The engine is a hybrid.

9A bottom with a Cross-flow head. 276 cam with springs. 11.5 comp. JE pistons. Port and polished head. 1mm over sized valves.(supertech)

The car is coming back in to my shop for some suspension work. I'll take vids then. Stay tuned.:cool:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.