VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, sorry for the duplication... I searched but didn't find this post (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...age=2 ) until AFTER I wrote this... Doh!

Since there are a number of us doing this, I took some photos of how I removed the Sirius unit from my car to swap for XM. I got the thing out of there in about 20 minutes start to finish.
No, you don't have to remove the interior of the car
Yes, you can do it at home with two tools... ok, well three if you're counting your beer

Here's How:
1) Get in the trunk on your back. The unit is mounted on the bottom of the passenger's side back deck, and screwed in from the top (!).
2) Use vise-grips on the bottom of the screws to break them loose. This only required about a half to three-quarters of a turn. You'll be turning them CLOCKWISE from this position!
3) Since it's mounted in slotted holes, I just tapped it gently from behind with a hammer and the thing came right out in my hands.
Here's some images of the process:

Modified by BillTheCat at 4:36 PM 2-2-2006

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Dexman1349)

Being that I'm not an admin, and I was soooo not paying attention yesterday I couldn't move the post to the right area. Thanks for putting up with my well intended, but ill placed DIY

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Re: XM <--> Sirius Module Swap HowTo (BillTheCat)

so where is the module located in the GTI??? my local parts department says in in the dash but the service people says its in the trunk! I am confused

·
Banned
9,922 Posts
Re: XM <--> Sirius Module Swap HowTo (dalasdhn)

And where did you find the XM unit??? Mine just died, and apparently both the antenna and the XM module aren't currently available (neither was the entire sunroof system which is being replaced also)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dalasdhn »
so where is the module located in the GTI??? my local parts department says in in the dash but the service people says its in the trunk! I am confused

IIRC the module is under the front seat (driver's side I think). It's in the spot where the amp is located in the 05.5 Jetta's.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Re: XM <--> Sirius Module Swap HowTo (Dexman1349)

Quote, originally posted by Dexman1349 »

IIRC the module is under the front seat (driver's side I think). It's in the spot where the amp is located in the 05.5 Jetta's.

found it...passenger side though ....Thanks!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dalasdhn »

Jeeze...its pretty bad when a VW dealer has NO IDEA where it is. I found it the first day I had the car. It is very easy to swap out, you shouldnt have trouble.

·
Registered
13 Posts
problems with sirius / xm swap

Wow, I had a hell of a time trying to do this. I was able to loosen the screws toward the middle of the car which are easy to access with the vice grips. But the ones closest to the side I could not budge (the ones you can't see in the first picture on this thread). I could only get the vice grips on parallel to the screw, and no matter how tight, the teeth of the vice grips just slip on the threads of the screws (not to mention there is less than 1/4 turn to manuever).

Anyway, I gave up and taped it in temporarily and swapped the cables to test the sirius unit and I have a bigger problem. It shows up on the head unit and gives a text message to call the Sirius 888 number, but there is no audio. The Sirius ID is shown on channel 000, so that connection is fine. Double checked all four cable connections. Drove around the block to make sure satellite signal was not an issue. Changed back to XM module and I get audio.
Anyone else experience this? I am assuming it is a bad sirius module.
EDIT - not a bad module, I'm just an idiot. I called Sirius and it activated just fine. Still taped to my XM module that I can't remove though.

Modified by pdxA5 at 11:25 AM 6-4-2006

Modified by pdxA5 at 10:13 PM 6-6-2006

·
Registered
30,116 Posts
Re: problems with sirius / xm swap (pdxA5)

can anyone feel me in on WHY would you want to switch from XM to Sirius? i am new to this whole electronics thinny and i don't even know what i have in the car... (btw the car is 06 GTI pkg 2)

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Re: problems with sirius / xm swap (JettaDude101)

Quote, originally posted by JettaDude101 »
WHY would you want to switch from XM to Sirius?

Because the programming is different (music selection, sports, etc).

To find out what you have in your car all you need to di is press the "SAT" button on your stereo.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Re: problems with sirius / xm swap (pdxA5)

Quote, originally posted by pdxA5 »
Wow, I had a hell of a time trying to do this. I was able to loosen the screws toward the middle of the car which are easy to access with the vice grips. But the ones closest to the side I could not budge (the ones you can't see in the first picture on this thread). I could only get the vice grips on parallel to the screw, and no matter how tight, the teeth of the vice grips just slip on the threads of the screws (not to mention there is less than 1/4 turn to manuever).

I had this exact problem... The screws on the side were totally screwed up so I tried drilling some and using the dremel but don't want to damage anything important so I stopped.

Does anyone have directions for removing the parcel shelf?
TIA

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Re: XM <--> Sirius Module Swap HowTo (kerosenec4)

Quote, originally posted by kerosenec4 »
I'm asking the opposite question, why would you want to switch from sirius to XM?!

FUNGUS 53! Nothing else like it!!!!!!!!!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Will this work or do I have to get a VW one?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ol...77061

Modified by Heinrich at 7:43 AM 8-25-2006

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Re: XM <--> Sirius Module Swap HowTo (jarrall)

Where else can you hear Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables and Pansy Division but on XM (with the exception of Kill the Poor which I've actually heard on mainstream radio
)
XM RULES

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.