VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Thanks.

Stereo is all done now. Bass knob on the factory blank plate by the arm rest, amp hidden under the seat using a factory cover and Uber Stealth Audio light weight plywood box housing the 8" Helix sub in the trunk. Clean simple and all hidden.

This setup sounds killer. I mostly listen to rock, metal and 80s metal but tried some dubstep just to test the extremes and my rear view mirror and side view mirrors shake to the point that they become a blur. I'd say it has WAY more bass than I'll ever need. No distortion from the sub at all, no odd noises from it hitting the factory carpet over it...since it doesn't hit thanks to Nik's built in recess for it. No rattles heard inside or outside the car either. I'm real happy with it. The amp and sub pair worked out perfect since the sub is a dual voice coil (2ohm per coil which I wired to 1ohm mono) that can handle 300w max 200w RMS and the amp puts out 300w at 1ohm. After tweaking I only have the amp turned up about half way and it's perfect.

I do still wish the factory door speakers put out a bit more low end though. Perhaps I'll look into an upgrade to the stock amp and or speakers down the road to help that. For right now I'm very glad I added the sub the stock setup is seriously lacking bump!
Very clean looking. Where did you tap in to the high speaker inputs? What did you use for the remote on?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I tapped into the speakers behind the headunit. Thankfully the little RF amp doesn't need a remote wire so it was one less wire to run, it turns on based on the speaker wire connection. There's a switch on the side that changes it from low level to high level sensing.
Good to know, thanks. Any issues with hum with the car running and stereo off? Or does the head unit truly cut power to the speakers when it's "off".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.