VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 80 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Grrrrr sub box shipment was delayed 'til tomorrow. :mad:

I did however get to mount the bass knob in the pointless blank plug where the aux input would normally be by the arm rest. Bought an extra blank plug so I didn't have to drill up the stock one. I had a chrome knob in my guitar parts stash that I thought would look better than the cheap looking plastic Rockford Fosgate one. I had to gut the bass knob assembly, desolder the pot from the PCB, add jumper wires from the pot to the board and notch the side of the plug to get it to fit but it all worked out great in the end. I guess building guitars and guitar effects pedals pays off again in the car world. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Thanks.

Stereo is all done now. Bass knob on the factory blank plate by the arm rest, amp hidden under the seat using a factory cover and Uber Stealth Audio light weight plywood box housing the 8" Helix sub in the trunk. Clean simple and all hidden.

This setup sounds killer. I mostly listen to rock, metal and 80s metal but tried some dubstep just to test the extremes and my rear view mirror and side view mirrors shake to the point that they become a blur. I'd say it has WAY more bass than I'll ever need. No distortion from the sub at all, no odd noises from it hitting the factory carpet over it...since it doesn't hit thanks to Nik's built in recess for it. No rattles heard inside or outside the car either. I'm real happy with it. The amp and sub pair worked out perfect since the sub is a dual voice coil (2ohm per coil which I wired to 1ohm mono) that can handle 300w max 200w RMS and the amp puts out 300w at 1ohm. After tweaking I only have the amp turned up about half way and it's perfect.

I do still wish the factory door speakers put out a bit more low end though. Perhaps I'll look into an upgrade to the stock amp and or speakers down the road to help that. For right now I'm very glad I added the sub the stock setup is seriously lacking bump!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
With the factory carpet over the sub and box, does the floor sit level? Or at least unnoticeable?

Also, that install looks clean, I love a system that looks like it came from the factory.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I was worried it would be crooked but it's such a small difference in height along with the fact that the factory floor/carpet is hard and not just floppy carpet it sits perfectly level and doesn't rock around or anything. I was all set to shim the foam to match the levels exactly but for the heck of it I tried it without any shim and realized it was fine without it and it looked perfectly level from the top with the carpet on. I didn't take any pics with the carpet on though, didn't think it would be needed....sorry.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
With the factory carpet over the sub and box, does the floor sit level? Or at least unnoticeable?

Also, that install looks clean, I love a system that looks like it came from the factory.
This is my uberstealth install.

You can see that the left side is ever so slightly higher. Insignificant if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Toyin...Mine doesn't seem to sit crooked at all. It sits on the two overlapping ledges of hard carpet and just floats above the foam that tiny hair. Your box seems to be just a bit taller than mine. Where mine slips right under that hard carpet edge yours looks like it sits above it a hair on the non recessed area. Or is that just the pic making it look like that? Perhaps that's due to the MDF VS plywood material thickness difference?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Looks really great, thanks for sharing!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Looks sweet! I mounted mine in front of the the shift knob. Didn't even realize I could of mounted it there. Though I don't think it would look as good as the guitar knob.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Thanks guys.

SOFLA...I was going to put it in front of the shifter but I kept looking at that pointless black plug from the factory by the arm rest and figured this was the perfect use for it. In the end it made it look less like a factory after thought, we'll just stick that plug there and no one will care part. :laugh: It's also comfortable to use since my arm is right there anyway. Ergonomic bass knob. :laugh:

The chrome knob seems to go well with all the other metal bits in the interior so that worked out too. If it was a black JL knob that would have worked fine too but to be honest the stock RF knob is quite cheap looking so I didn't want to use that.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Toyin...Mine doesn't seem to sit crooked at all. It sits on the two overlapping ledges of hard carpet and just floats above the foam that tiny hair. Your box seems to be just a bit taller than mine. Where mine slips right under that hard carpet edge yours looks like it sits above it a hair on the non recessed area. Or is that just the pic making it look like that? Perhaps that's due to the MDF VS plywood material thickness difference?
My sits under the carpet like yours. If you look at the hatchback shelf, you can see that the entire picture is rotated. The pic does exaggerate the angle, it's barely noticeable.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I dont even notice the plug in the arm rest. The chrome knob def ties in with your guitar theme. How often do you turn it down? Mine stays cranked most of the time. :laugh: The JL knob matches the interior plastic perfect if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
Toyin...yeah it may be just the picture that made me think it was taller.

SOFLA...I've only had it in for a day and the car hasn't even gone out. I did play parts of what must have been 20 different songs from different styles of music to tune it though so I have a good idea of the sweet spot for anything. When the volume is down at 10 or so I saw myself turning the bass knob up more. When I hit 13-15 it would be about half way and when volume hits 20 or so it was up about 1/4 of the way or so. So it's volume dependent and a bit song/genre dependent too I guess. I look for a balanced sound and not something that's just thundering with loads of bass just because it can be.

The JL knob does blend in very well. I've had that in past cars. I actually just ordered a replacement one to try it and see if I like the stealth look of the black JL knob instead of the chrome.

·
Registered
315 Posts
the plywood I use runs almost 1/16 thinner per layer, so after 5 layers, its almost a 1/4"' shorter. The xssive sub was so shallow, i just left the box shallowe( i metimmes add a layer of 1/4" mdf to get the depth correct)

thats what accounts for it sitting flushh and the normal box not

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I had a feeling the material thickness would come into play in terms of overall height. Glad I went with the plywood to save a few lbs and also got that bonus of a more flush fit. Again Nik...awesome job on the box, I couldn't be happier with it!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

61 - 80 of 333 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.