VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 120 of 333 Posts
Discussion starter · #101 ·
I'm good at spending other people's money too. I'm even better at spending my own though. :laugh: Wait, that may not be a good thing. :sly:

I'm trying to think long term with the car and not be too wasteful with $ buying parts I just have to sell later. So I think I'm going to just pick up a Borla catback for now and then down the line go right to stage 3 and skip the needed downpipe for stage 2+ on the stock turbo. At least that's the plan for now. I may change my mind later, who knows...not me. :laugh: Either way the catback will work for stage 2+ or 3 so it's a safe choice to feed the mod habit.

I also need to do some more coilover adjusting. Got the front pretty much where I want it (spun everything down 2 turns since my old pics). I think I need to go 2 more turns in the rear since I seem to have a 1/2" rake now which is just a bit too much. I don't want the saggy ass look and rather have some rake but right now it's just a bit high in the rear. Two more turns down should be perfect. It's at 24 3/8" front and 24 7/8" rear for people who are interested in ride height numbers.

I'm good at spending other people's money too. I'm even better at spending my own though. :laugh: Wait, that may not be a good thing. :sly:

I'm trying to think long term with the car and not be too wasteful with $ buying parts I just have to sell later. So I think I'm going to just pick up a Borla catback for now and then down the line go right to stage 3 and skip the needed downpipe for stage 2+ on the stock turbo. At least that's the plan for now. I may change my mind later, who knows...not me. :laugh: Either way the catback will work for stage 2+ or 3 so it's a safe choice to feed the mod habit.

I also need to do some more coilover adjusting. Got the front pretty much where I want it (spun everything down 2 turns since my old pics). I think I need to go 2 more turns in the rear since I seem to have a 1/2" rake now which is just a bit too much. I don't want the saggy ass look and rather have some rake but right now it's just a bit high in the rear. Two more turns down should be perfect. It's at 24 3/8" front and 24 7/8" rear for people who are interested in ride height numbers.
You can add intercooler and HPFP to that list of things to purchase now that can stick around when you go stage 3. You're welcome :p

Discussion starter · #103 ·
I already have an APR HPFP, I'm currently stage 1+ with intake.

An intercooler upgrade is on my list (I literally have a long mod "to do" list). I'm waiting to see what Neuspeed has in the works. I'd like a true front mount if possible (not the BSH that removes the crash bar...not safe). No matter how good the core is in terms of APR, SPM, CTS and other factory placement upgrades having it stuck between the radiator and a/c condenser can't be as good as one sitting out front first in line for the cold air. No rush in that department though since my car is street driven and not tracked I think I'd be pulled over before I even reached heat soak. :laugh: I stick intercooler in the same category as stage 3 and clutch meaning I'd do them all at once or very close to each other.

Discussion starter · #104 ·
New toys got here today...

Still waiting on my Force Fed Engineering shifter bushings to get here so I can do the install. You'd think they'd get here faster since they're located on LI also (was too lazy to drive there and waste gas that's still a nightmare to get here so I just ordered them online) but the Diesel Geek got here from TX faster. :thumbup::thumbup: for Jim for that one!

Discussion starter · #105 ·
Just ordered up a Borla catback. Now the question remains, leave the tips polished or have them ceramic coated gloss black?

Pic of the tips courtesy of v8star...whose Borla video is what sold me on it since it doesn't sound like raspy buzzing ass like all the other exhausts for the R :laugh:

Perhaps I should change the name of my thread to "some reassembly required" after today. :laugh:

Bumper and engine cover off and ready to be dropped off at the body shop tomorrow. Goodbye plate holes and marker lights!

I also unhooked the soundaktor while I was tearing things off.
Thanks guys!

dc/dc...I honestly don't know all the specifics on how they worked their magic. Since this shop has done several local VWs from MK1s to MKVIs (quite a few forum members actually) is why I decided to trust them to do it since they've done it many times.

speeedfrk...You can't tell they where ever there. If I told anyone it was a euro bumper they wouldn't question it (not that I would, I rather give the body shop credit where it's due!). I've had 9 different cars and nearly every one has had custom body work over the years. My 337 was shaved as you can see (rub strips and fender lights) and that was a great job too. I had an Integra that I bought shaved and it was a crap job where you could see the outline of the shaved keyhole in the hatch. Anyway, as for the R it looks amazing you can get your eyes as close as you want in any light at any angle and there's no sign of where the markers were. I'm not a fan of the paint matched markers, it looks a bit ghetto to be honest. The bumper has enough plugs in it with the tow hook and washer caps, it doesn't need two more. Better off with clear, smoked or amber lenses than painted ones. I was actually going to shave the washers and tow hook hole but decided not too since the washers are functional and I needed a place for my front plate so I had to keep the tow hook hole.
If you don't mind me asking what did the front bumper work cost?

Still waiting on my Force Fed Engineering shifter bushings to get here so I can do the install. You'd think they'd get here faster since they're located on LI also (was too lazy to drive there and waste gas that's still a nightmare to get here so I just ordered them online) but the Diesel Geek got here from TX faster. :thumbup::thumbup: for Jim for that one!
ordered mine the same day as you and haven't heard from them :banghead:

Discussion starter · #108 ·
Atl-Atl...I never feel comfortable talking prices on custom work like that. Plus my price was a package deal with my engine cover which altered the normal price some. I'd also be willing to bet anyone not on Long Island could get it done cheaper anyway. :laugh:

notavr...I emailed them for an update and they said it shipped but still no sign of it for me. Also emailed them for a tracking number but no reply on that yet. Now that it's gone back to normal getting gas here on LI (after Sandy it was a nightmare with rationing) I wish I would have waited and just drove over to pick them up. :banghead: My diesel geek is taunting me on my desk and I really don't want to do the install twice so I'm stuck waiting on the bushings.

I emailed them for an update and they said it shipped but still no sign of it for me. Also emailed them for a tracking number but no reply on that yet. Now that it's gone back to normal getting gas here on LI (after Sandy it was a nightmare with rationing) I wish I would have waited and just drove over to pick them up. :banghead: My diesel geek is taunting me on my desk and I really don't want to do the install twice so I'm stuck waiting on the bushings.
when did you email them?

yeah i don't blame you to wait you have to remove everything to install the dg shifter anyway to i'd just wait too.

Discussion starter · #110 ·
I ordered them on the 12th. Emailed on the 15th asking if they shipped. Got a response from Ed on the 16th saying that they shipped. Emailed again on the 17th asking for a tracking number but haven't heard back. I emailed them this morning again asking for a tracking number but still no word back yet.

These are going 23 miles according to google maps. :laugh: or should I say. :banghead: Damn you hurricane Sandy, yet again you screw with me. :mad:

I ordered them on the 12th. Emailed on the 15th asking if they shipped. Got a response from Ed on the 16th saying that they shipped. Emailed again on the 17th asking for a tracking number but haven't heard back. I emailed them this morning again asking for a tracking number but still no word back yet.
i did pretty much the same thing and got the same info :(

Discussion starter · #116 ·
No idea what that guy was talking about but here are my current fuel trim numbers...

Also another update on my R.

Got the FFE bushings and Diesel Geek Sigma 6 short shifter installed and really didn't like the feel of the DG shifter. It didn't feel as good as the old style DG Race shifter I had in my R. It's too stiff, mechanical and clunky feeling. Thankfully Jim was cool enough to take it back since I only had it in for a short time and knew immediately it wasn't for me. I put the stock shifter back in and left the FFE bushings, which honestly don't make a huge difference alone.

I think I may order the Forge short shifter with side to side bracket if one of two dealers would actually return my emails about it. :banghead:

Discussion starter · #118 ·
This is all personal preference of course. Jim builds an Awesome shifter with quality second to none and even better service. For me though, there's just too many metal parts in the DG Sigma vs the old DG Race shifter. The old Race shifter used the spring loaded plastic cable ends still but shortened the throw and lost the counter weight so it was short and notchy but not as harsh feeling as the Sigma. I thought something was wrong with my adjustment since it felt like there was a little pop or almost speed bump like feel going in and out of each gear. Like the shifter would hop up a hair if moved with little pressure into each gear. It wasn't a confidence building feeling at all. I sent Jim a video of it and he said it was normal and my adjustment seemed fine. That's when I knew it wasn't for me. I've heard lots of people say the Sigma was too notchy for them. People have been saying that since the Race shifter was out actually. But the people who said the Race shifter was too notchy were nuts. :laugh:

This is all personal preference of course. Jim builds an Awesome shifter with quality second to none and even better service. For me though, there's just too many metal parts in the DG Sigma vs the old DG Race shifter. The old Race shifter used the spring loaded plastic cable ends still but shortened the throw and lost the counter weight so it was short and notchy but not as harsh feeling as the Sigma. I thought something was wrong with my adjustment since it felt like there was a little pop or almost speed bump like feel going in and out of each gear. Like the shifter would hop up a hair if moved with little pressure into each gear. It wasn't a confidence building feeling at all. I sent Jim a video of it and he said it was normal and my adjustment seemed fine. That's when I knew it wasn't for me. I've heard lots of people say the Sigma was too notchy for them. People have been saying that since the Race shifter was out actually. But the people who said the Race shifter was too notchy were nuts. :laugh:
The only caveat I would add here is that the shifter really does "break in" with some miles. It is more difficult to shift at first, but with a couple thousand miles of commuting, it really gets easier. Anybody that doesn't like it at first, should give it a little time. Of course I don't know how the return policy would work for a part that has been used for a couple thousand miles would go. I liked it better than stock right away, even though it was more difficult to shift. Now that I have been using it for about 8k miles, I really like it. The 2-3 shift is much more reliable for me now, something that was really lacking in the stock setup.

Discussion starter · #120 ·
Another testament to how good a guy Jim is and his service. He said I could keep it in the car for a month and if I still didn't like it return it then since as you said it has a break in period. I however took it right out before he even told me that figuring my only shot at returning it was if it was still perfectly new looking. I don't think it would have broken in anywhere near enough for me to like it though. There's just no give at all. I want shorter throws and that have a nice click into gear but it was just too mechanical for me due to the metal cable ends. I think I need a bit of give for a more refined and less mechanical "race car" like feel.

101 - 120 of 333 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.