VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 140 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Ordered the Forge adjustable quick shifter and adjustable side quick shifter today. I think that may be what I'm looking for in terms of feel.

Still can't decide if I want to gloss black ceramic coat the Borla tips or leave them polished and that gets here tomorrow so I need to decide before I install it. :confused:

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I'm leaning towards black but now that I've seen them in person they sure are nice. I still think I'll bring them Monday to be gloss black ceramic coated though.

Gotta say, of the 8 exhaust systems for various cars I've bought in the past this Borla (my first Borla) was hands down packaged the best with expanding foam inside plastic bags so everything was safely padded and couldn't get dented, scratched or beat up at all since the foam shapes itself to the contours of the exhaust perfectly to keep it safe. Each tip was also wrapped in bubble wrap for extra safety, nice touch. :thumbup::thumbup:

I comment on the packing because I had one exhaust for a past car shipped to me with packing peanuts loose in the box. I thought I got them all out but a few stragglers blew out the tailpipe when I first started the car. :laugh: Another one with just some bits of packing paper to pad it letting it slide around and get a dent.

Also the free hat, sticker, catalog, clearly printed instructions and also a plastic plug for the flapper vacuum hose (that's what's in the little plastic bag) was a nice touch so I don't have to go all ghetto and use a screw!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Got the Borla installed the other day. Sounds awesome and it actually made my intake sound louder for some reason. Guess it's just breathing better despite still having the stock downpipe.

Thankfully I decided to leave the tips polished and not ceramic coat them black. Why is that good? One of the tips was welded on crooked at Borla. :banghead: Thanks to Borla's good customer service though they're making me a whole new tail section and sending it out free of charge with free return shipping on the current crooked tip one. So it sucks that I have to do 1/2 the install again but at least it's the easy part and they're taking care of the issue and the cost of shipping.

The string of bad luck with parts problems (manufacturing, finish, fitment and compatibility issues) I'm having with this car is a bit scary. Thankfully all the companies that have had to replace parts for me have been great and did it at no cost to me but still, has quality control gone so down hill everywhere that it's needed so many times?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Got the Forge front to back and side to side short shifter installed a few minutes ago and it paired with the FFE solid shifter bushings are exactly what I was looking for. Nice short throws that click into gear with no more slop yet no extra effort is needed to row through the gears and it's much smoother than the DG was. It's a more precise feel than stock yet not as overly mechanical as the DG was, more fluid feeling is the best way to describe it when compared to the DG. Also have to give a thanks to Sean at Forge for his help when I had some questions. :thumbup::thumbup:

Also got my DEI Reflect-A-Gold heat shield all finalized and installed with some nicer screws instead of the stock chess piece looking monstrosities.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'm leaning towards black but now that I've seen them in person they sure are nice. I still think I'll bring them Monday to be gloss black ceramic coated though.

Gotta say, of the 8 exhaust systems for various cars I've bought in the past this Borla (my first Borla) was hands down packaged the best with expanding foam inside plastic bags so everything was safely padded and couldn't get dented, scratched or beat up at all since the foam shapes itself to the contours of the exhaust perfectly to keep it safe. Each tip was also wrapped in bubble wrap for extra safety, nice touch. :thumbup::thumbup:

I comment on the packing because I had one exhaust for a past car shipped to me with packing peanuts loose in the box. I thought I got them all out but a few stragglers blew out the tailpipe when I first started the car. :laugh: Another one with just some bits of packing paper to pad it letting it slide around and get a dent.

Also the free hat, sticker, catalog, clearly printed instructions and also a plastic plug for the flapper vacuum hose (that's what's in the little plastic bag) was a nice touch so I don't have to go all ghetto and use a screw!

I can't wait to see pics of this on your car. :) I love the size of the tips!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
As soon as the replacement tail section gets here and I have a chance to install it I'll try and get some pics.

I really need to find a decent location for better pics. All my old photo locations are gone (been 5 years since I had a car worth taking pics of) or blocked off due to what hurricane Sandy did to them.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Thanks!

I took it for a quick drive to test out the Forge shifter, which is exactly what I wanted!! Great feel, it's nice and precise combined with the FFE bushing yet no extra effort needed to shift and a much more solid "click" into gear, yet way more refined and smooth feeling than the DG Sigma. It actually reminds me of my DG Race shifter I loved in my 337 just a bit more fluid feeling thanks to the counter weight I guess. Whatever the case, I'm happy!

Here's some quick driveway pics of the Borla taken at odd angles to hide the fact that one tip is crooked...and yes I quickly photoshopped it straighter in the head on shot too. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
congrats on all the mods very euro and clean. your interior is so clean. Do you ever eat in the car lol?? Led tails what brand did you get can you post a video of your engine sound with the borla please. thanks:p

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Almost forgot, I also hit a mileage milestone on my drive around town. Or perhaps I listen to too much Iron Maiden since I consider it a milestone worthy of a picture. :laugh:

Lol. Classic.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
trueunion...Thanks. Eat in it? I hardly drive it. :laugh: The tails are reps. :eek: But I have an OEM set on order. :thumbup: V8Star dd a good video of the Borla that actually helped sell me on it. Now that I own it I can safely say it sounds even better in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTMODoRKfg8

ignitionlive...The mileage of the beast. :laugh: Nearly 4 months of ownership and that's all the miles. I spend more time modding it and cleaning it than driving it. :laugh: Since I work from home I don't need to daily drive anywhere and even if I did I still have my SUV for that and for bad weather so it's going to be a long while 'til it's even broken in.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
trueunion...Thanks. Eat in it? I hardly drive it. :laugh: The tails are reps. :eek: But I have an OEM set on order. :thumbup: V8Star dd a good video of the Borla that actually helped sell me on it. Now that I own it I can safely say it sounds even better in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTMODoRKfg8

ignitionlive...The mileage of the beast. :laugh: Nearly 4 months of ownership and that's all the miles. I spend more time modding it and cleaning it than driving it. :laugh: Since I work from home I don't need to daily drive anywhere and even if I did I still have my SUV for that and for bad weather so it's going to be a long while 'til it's even broken in.
You are just like my brother... he drives his car hardly ever!!! LOL

You're car is beautiful man... I like the fact that it's not bagged like a lot of other R's on this forum. Done just right....

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Thanks.

Stereo is all done now. Bass knob on the factory blank plate by the arm rest, amp hidden under the seat using a factory cover and Uber Stealth Audio light weight plywood box housing the 8" Helix sub in the trunk. Clean simple and all hidden.

This setup sounds killer. I mostly listen to rock, metal and 80s metal but tried some dubstep just to test the extremes and my rear view mirror and side view mirrors shake to the point that they become a blur. I'd say it has WAY more bass than I'll ever need. No distortion from the sub at all, no odd noises from it hitting the factory carpet over it...since it doesn't hit thanks to Nik's built in recess for it. No rattles heard inside or outside the car either. I'm real happy with it. The amp and sub pair worked out perfect since the sub is a dual voice coil (2ohm per coil which I wired to 1ohm mono) that can handle 300w max 200w RMS and the amp puts out 300w at 1ohm. After tweaking I only have the amp turned up about half way and it's perfect.

I do still wish the factory door speakers put out a bit more low end though. Perhaps I'll look into an upgrade to the stock amp and or speakers down the road to help that. For right now I'm very glad I added the sub the stock setup is seriously lacking bump!
Very clean looking. Where did you tap in to the high speaker inputs? What did you use for the remote on?

121 - 140 of 333 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.