VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
141 - 160 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
I tapped into the speakers behind the headunit. Thankfully the little RF amp doesn't need a remote wire so it was one less wire to run, it turns on based on the speaker wire connection. There's a switch on the side that changes it from low level to high level sensing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is all personal preference of course. Jim builds an Awesome shifter with quality second to none and even better service. For me though, there's just too many metal parts in the DG Sigma vs the old DG Race shifter. .... I've heard lots of people say the Sigma was too notchy for them. People have been saying that since the Race shifter was out actually. But the people who said the Race shifter was too notchy were nuts. :laugh:
You could also try the HPA. With two adjustable settings it can be adjusted to your liking. Works great for me.

·
Registered
863 Posts
You could also try the HPA. With two adjustable settings it can be adjusted to your liking. Works great for me.
He went with the Forge unit which is fully adjustable.

I did the same thing xssive did on my MK4 R - started out with DG and then went to Forge.

However, I ended up making a hybrid DG and Forge setup using the DG cable end units and mated them to the Forge weighted piece. This turned out to be an awesome but expensive setup. DG smoothness with the weight.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I tapped into the speakers behind the headunit. Thankfully the little RF amp doesn't need a remote wire so it was one less wire to run, it turns on based on the speaker wire connection. There's a switch on the side that changes it from low level to high level sensing.
Good to know, thanks. Any issues with hum with the car running and stereo off? Or does the head unit truly cut power to the speakers when it's "off".

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
qc337giac...As ESA31.8T mentioned and as seen earlier in my pics I went with the Forge short shifter plus the adjustable side to side bracket too. I thought about HPA but it's only 1/2 a short shifter. Not having any change in the side to side yet shortening front to back seemed a bit silly to me. The Forge worked out perfect in terms of throw length and feel.

ESA31.8T...I think the metal cable ends are what took the DG too far for me. I like a smoother feel and having that little give from the plastic/rubber bushings int he stock ends is just enough to smootht hings out while still retaining a positive click into gear and shorter throw.

webcrawlr....It shuts off perfect every time. No unwanted noises or anything like that.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Uncovered the R from hibernation for its first drive of spring. Man I missed driving it, it hasn't left the garage since December. :eek:

I also spun my coilovers down two turns all around and finally think I nailed the ride height I wanted.

This however lead to a minor issue. Hit a dip/bump while taking a hard right turn and shaved off some tire due to the sharp fender edge. Guess I'll be buying that fender roller I always wanted now. :laugh: :banghead:

Thankfully no fender or paint damage, just some thin tire slices.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm a little confused here now. Does the Volant intake not work with the stock DV without modding the intake, or is that some past issue that has since been fixed? Your fuel trim post stated "modded" Volant intake.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
My Volant is a modified MKV GTI version, not the new factory modified Golf R version of the same intake. Lots of details on the fitment of one Vs the other in the Volant thread on here. Volant moved the mounting holes to fit it to the R and it actually makes it a very tight fit which IMO isn't a good thing. I modded an MKV version the same way many Australian R owners did before Volant offered a factory modified version for the R.

My DV hose is in the silicone reducer, thus why it can't be seen in any of the pics.

Here's info on how mine is modded...

http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread...I-install-for-Golf-R-Scirocco-R-Gti-amp-Jetta

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
After I shaved off some tire due to the inner lip of the fender catching on the tire during a hard right turn into a dip with a bump on the exit of the dip the other day I had to roll the fender lips up so it wouldn't happen again. So the blue thing is a fender roller.

Eastwood (the company that makes the roller) has a video on how to roll a MKVIs fenders...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c32n2hOWces

Although they were MUCH more aggressive in the video than I was. I didn't roll the lips 100% flat and I left my liners installed as I worked. I rolled them as far as I could without the fender liners falling down and it should be perfect to stop any future rubbing and tire shaving during hard cornering on not so flat roads.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Seeing as Sparco wheels are made by OZ I wonder if the same quality goes into them? Are yours gloss black or matte? The website list the black ones as matte but I like the glossy look which yours appear to be.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
They technically are matte but even out of the box they have a bit more gloss to them than the typical matte finish. I put some Adam's quick sealant on them and it makes them even more glossy as seen. I tried wheel wax, regular wax and stuff like that and it did nothing to them really. The quick sealant however makes them much closer to a gloss black. If you wash them with a typical wheel cleaner though it strips the quick sealant and they go back to matte and need the sealant reapplied.

I keep looking at other wheels but I can't find any I can honestly say I like the look of better than these on a white R in term of style, size and weight (forgetting price). I've been contemplating having them refinished in 100% gloss black but I'm not sure if I want to invest $ into them or keep looking for another set of wheels I like better, which don't seem to exist.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I keep looking at other wheels but I can't find any I can honestly say I like the look of better than these on a white R in term of style, size and weight (forgetting price). I've been contemplating having them refinished in 100% gloss black but I'm not sure if I want to invest $ into them or keep looking for another set of wheels I like better, which don't seem to exist.
That's my plan. I love these wheels. I used the Adams on them too and they turned out nice. Just gotta keep up on it. I'm having a hard time not getting these done gloss black immediately because of all my gloss black accents.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I just ordered replacement Sparco badges for them just in case I do decide to have them powder coated gloss black down the line. Still looking at other wheels, still finding nothing that makes me want to change them.
I don't know if the Sparco's are painted or powdercoated, but you could just do a clear coat over that satin or matte black and get the gloss. That is essentially what you are doing with the Adam's. I think you could do that in either paint or powdercoat, but I'm not 100% sure about powder. The clear coat would give some extra depth to the finish.

141 - 160 of 333 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.