VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
161 - 180 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Gorgeous day for a drive, 50 and sunny. No more rubbing on the fenders during hard cornering thanks to the fender rolling. :thumbup:

May need to go a touch lower in the rear now. My driveway being on an angle seems to exaggerate the rake more than when it's in my level garage though.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I'm not actually sure if they're painted or powder coated. I'd guess powder coated since that seems to be the norm for wheels.
I thought that too, but I just got some TSW's and they are painted from the factory, but I am getting them powder coated. Because of this project, I now know that you can apply a new layer of powder over an existing layer, at least when it is brand new. My project may require multiple layers to get the color right, or might be good with just one. I asked about this and the guy said they would start with 1 layer, then I can come in and check the color, if needed they would add another layer. This is because I am doing a tinted clear coat, so the number of layers will affect the color.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Thanks notavar!

ecirwin....I keep tossing and turning on doing them in gloss black. Part of me wants to but I'm also worried they'd be a nightmare to keep clean and swirl free. Just think of the PITA our mirror caps and pillars are to keep swirl free. Now imagine swirl marks on and in between spokes of a wheel. This neurotic ex detailer with OCD for a clean car may have a psychotic break trying to keep them perfect. :laugh:

Now I'm trying to decide what the next mod(s) will be. Thinking I'll stay 1+ for a while as I break the car in still (still only has 740 miles on it) :laugh:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
ecirwin....I keep tossing and turning on doing them in gloss black. Part of me wants to but I'm also worried they'd be a nightmare to keep clean and swirl free. Just think of the PITA our mirror caps and pillars are to keep swirl free. Now imagine swirl marks on and in between spokes of a wheel. This neurotic ex detailer with OCD for a clean car may have a psychotic break trying to keep them perfect. :laugh:
I hear you there, but keep in mind that a powder coat will be "tougher" than paint. Also a coat or two of opti-coat will help keep the wheels cleaner and also ad a tough layer. The surfaces of a wheel are much smaller so swirls are less visible.

I guess I should say that I am not a huge fan a black wheels, but if I were going to have black wheels again, they would be gloss black. I had some satin black, or maybe matte black, wheels on my JSW. A lot of detail is lost with this type of wheel, where at least the gloss brings some highlights and depth. This is all purely opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. Black wheels on white car can be really nice, but I have to say the gloss is much better.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Bloodyns...thanks very much.

ecirwin...I'm neurotic enough to notice swirls and little scratches on the wheels. I spent lord knows how long on my back with my 3" Griots DA polishing out all the little swirls on the rear diffuser only something I ran over would ever see. :laugh: It's still up in the air. Either I'll keep them as is, coat them or change to other wheels which will be gloss black. I'm still real happy with these but there are some other wheels that have caught my eye. I just can't ever make up my mind. :laugh:

djmikeyd...I'm in Bayville, Nassau county on the North Shore.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Decided to do a stud conversion and have some fun with it at the same time with neochrome lug nuts.

Installed pics when they get here of course but for now...

I blame it on all the Japanese cars I've owned in the past. :laugh:
Those will pop on the black wheel. From the post above, it also appears that it would be pretty easy to just shoot a clear coat over that matte black.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Thanks notavar!

Now I'm trying to decide what the next mod(s) will be. Thinking I'll stay 1+ for a while as I break the car in still (still only has 740 miles on it) :laugh:
You sir must have the lowest mileage R20 in the U.S! hahaha. ;)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Yeah the poor thing sat covered in the garage hibernating for all of winter but now that the weather is nice again I can start taking it out more. Just need to find time to go for drives here and there since I work from home and my commute is measured in feet not miles. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yeah the poor thing sat covered in the garage hibernating for all of winter but now that the weather is nice again I can start taking it out more. Just need to find time to go for drives here and there since I work from home and my commute is measured in feet not miles. :laugh:
You can always find an excuse to run errands! ;) Boost is your friend!

·
Registered
195 Posts
lol who has it better than you:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Stud conversion finally done. Ended up going with 44mm fronts since I don't run spacers up front and 63mm studs in the rear so I have more than enough stud for my 5mm spacers. Also decided to use some black 7 spline lug nuts instead of the neochrome ones. I have the neochrome ones but I think I may sell them since I like the simple look of everything being all back.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Stud conversion finally done. Ended up going with 44mm fronts since I don't run spacers up front and 63mm studs in the rear so I have more than enough stud for my 5mm spacers. Also decided to use some black 7 spline lug nuts instead of the neochrome ones. I have the neochrome ones but I think I may sell them since I like the simple look of everything being all back.

Where is a good place to buy these?

Just spin them in with a little lock tite?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
I got mine on ebay. There are several other places that sell them, some googling will pop up lots of options and different lengths and style of studs. Just make sure you get M14x1.5 studs and lug nuts to go with them.

http://stores.ebay.com/lugnutguys/_i.html?_nkw=14x1.5+conversion&submit=Search&_sid=23453627

Install is simple. Clean out the threads in the hub with some brake cleaner, red loctite on the studs, thread them in and torque them down and you're done. For the torque spec I read a few numbers that range from 15ft-lbs to 20ft-lbs, I did them to 20.

161 - 180 of 333 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.