VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay heres the story, Im VERY careful about who drives my car, even family members. So yesterday afternoon when my bro said he was going to canada for the night to gamble (and I'd assume drink) we only live about 3.5 hours from niagra falls, so this really wasnt a big deal. He asked if he could take my car cause right now he's driving the minivan, me being nice and tired, I said, well okay, I wasnt going out last night and he said he would be back before I had to go to work this morning. Long story short, its now, The passanger side of my car is all messed up, and the rear is really screwed, plus the car is way out of alingment, and I can pretty mcuh tell just by looking theres suspension damage. And do you know what? he didnt even hit anybody, he hit a friekin gaurdrail, which IMO theres no excuse for, if your driving carfully within conditions, and your awakeness, you should be fine. grrrrrrrrrrr.
Pics will be up in a bit, my camera is giving me crap

[Modified by Jettavr666, 6:01 AM 1-26-2003]

·
Registered
23,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: yeah so my bro wrecked my car...... (Intalex)

he's 23, so i was thinking he would be somewhat responsible, and if he was tired or something he would take some ephendra or something.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Re: yeah so my bro wrecked my car...... (Jettavr666)

Thats to a tough one to take, but look at it this way you will have many cars but just one brother. I this case be happy on the car was hurt, and it can be fixed or replaced.

·
Banned
5,228 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]he's 23, so i was thinking he would be somewhat responsible, and if he was tired or something he would take some ephendra or something.[HR][/HR]​
Sorry to say but you deserve what you got. You assumed he would drink, gave him the keys anyways and then assumed he'd be smart enough to pop some speed to be safer?!?! You have absolutely got to be kidding me!
W-A-R-R-A-N-T-Y. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by vuu16v, 10:18 AM 1-26-2003]

·
Registered
23,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: yeah so my bro wrecked my car...... (vuu16v)

quote:[HR][/HR]he's 23, so i was thinking he would be somewhat responsible, and if he was tired or something he would take some ephendra or something.Sorry to say but you deserve what you got. You assumed he would drink, gave him the keys anyways and then assumed he'd be smart enough to pop some speed to be safer?!?! You have absolutely got to be kidding me!
[HR][/HR]​
WAIT, I deserve what i got? WTF are you talking about, I was nice to my brother, lent him my car, and HE wrecked MY car, and I deserve this? How is hell do I deserve this, I hope your wife goes out and wrecks your car today, cause guess what, YOU deserve it.

[Modified by Jettavr666, 7:23 AM 1-26-2003]

·
Registered
6,149 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car but look at the bright side, your brother came out unhurt!!!
My older brother (40) wrecked my Impreza GT 2 days after I got it!! it was tottaled but he came out unhurt.
I say health is what matters all the rest is replaceable plus I it can happen to everyone...

·
Banned
5,228 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]he's 23, so i was thinking he would be somewhat responsible, and if he was tired or something he would take some ephendra or something.Sorry to say but you deserve what you got. You assumed he would drink, gave him the keys anyways and then assumed he'd be smart enough to pop some speed to be safer?!?! You have absolutely got to be kidding me!
WAIT, I deserve what i got? WTF are you talking about, I was nice to my brother, lent him my car, and HE wrecked MY car, and I deserve this? How is hell do I deserve this, I hope your wife goes out and wrecks your car today, cause guess what, YOU deserve it.

[HR][/HR]​
Since you assumed he would drink and drive, you do indeed deserve what happened. If I knew my wife was going to drink or I assumed she'd take speed to even herself out, then yes, I'd deserve it. But since she won't, it's her car and she makes more than I do, I guess if she really wanted to be an idiot, I'd ask that she leave our daughter at home and have at it. As has been said, luckily nobody was injured. Insurance loves to stick it to drunk drivers. Leaving the drunk to pay medical bills for a very, very long time.

·
Registered
23,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]
Since you assumed he would drink and drive, you do indeed deserve what happened. If I knew my wife was going to drink or I assumed she'd take speed to even herself out, then yes, I'd deserve it. But since she won't, it's her car and she makes more than I do, I guess if she really wanted to be an idiot, I'd ask that she leave our daughter at home and have at it. As has been said, luckily nobody was injured. Insurance loves to stick it to drunk drivers. Leaving the drunk to pay medical bills for a very, very long time. [HR][/HR]​
No i assumed since he is 23 he might have a couple drinks, Not get trashed then drive home, go back under your bridge

·
Registered
11,227 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Sorry to say but you deserve what you got. You assumed he would drink, gave him the keys anyways and then assumed he'd be smart enough to pop some speed to be safer?!?! You have absolutely got to be kidding me!
W-A-R-R-A-N-T-Y. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[HR][/HR]​
I'd never say that he got what he deserved, since nobody deserves his car crashed by a familymember, but it sure doesn't sound like a smart decission/argumentation.

·
Banned
684 Posts

Damn - good thing the law lets you sue family.
Lessons Learned:
1. never loan your car out
2. If you think the guy is going to be drinking, never loan your car out.
3. If you know the guy has previously taken ephedra to stay awake while drunk, never loan your car out.
4. If you do loan your car out, to a guy who is expected to drink, owns a minivan for whatever reason, takes ephedra to stay awake while drunk, and is a member of your family - YOU SHOULD FEEL LUCKY TO JUST HAVE THE IDIOT BROTHER BACK HOME>>> screw the car, by all logic you coul have just rolled it to the street, set it aflame and watched the action in person. Same result as loaning it out, but you get to watch the festivities.

·
Registered
23,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: yeah so my bro wrecked my car...... (FlyingDubber)

Okay just to get things straight here, I really doubt my brother was drunk when this happened. He DOESNT get drunk, he usually has like two beers, and he's 6'4" 220 pounds. my guess is that he was just tired when it happened, thats why I suggested the Ephedra part, not cause he was drunk.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts

OK -- let's get off his case.
Maybe his brother had too much to drink, maybe he didn't. We weren't there, he wasn't there. Unless his brother fesses up, we simply don't know. It is possible to have a couple of drinks and then drive -- it's all about being responsible. A couple of glasses of wine (or a couple of beers) over a five-hour period, for example, is a case where a 220 lb man likely would not be considered legally drunk, or even significantly impaired.
Now, back to the wrecked car. Be glad your brother is home safe. And I certainly hope that there will not be a single penny out of your pocket in making it right.
A few years ago my brother came to visit me and we went riding together on our motorcycles. We swapped bikes, and I lost it in a corner on his bike. It was rideable, but I did a lot of damage to it.
I paid the insurance deductible, bought him a train ticket home (and back down to pick it up) and upgraded the horn on his bike while they were repairing it. I took care of all of the repairs, dealt with the insurance company for him, and made sure my brother didn't have to lift a finger or pay a penny. I also offered to pay for the difference between what he would have expected to get for it when he ultimately sold it, and what he actually got because it had been wrecked (he declined that part).
That's how your brother should handle it. And that's how he should offer to handle it.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts

I would have lent my car to my brother too... its a matter of trust..
but you know what... some times people make mistakes, nobody is perfect...
you should be thankfull that your brother is unheart and a live with nothing serious... and your car is in fixable shape(insurance should cover it). A car can be baught but a life is not replaceable.
Either way sorry to hear about your car, I feel your anger but you should think about the positive stuff and calm down a bit.

[Modified by nuke941, 10:44 AM 1-26-2003]

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Re: yeah so my bro wrecked my car...... (nuke941)

I'm not upset about your car. What I'm upset about is that we all try to keep the drunk from leaving the bar so as to avoid accidents. Instead, people like you are starting the process of getting someone who has been drinking on the road even sooner. Sorry bud, I don't care how big your brother is or how high his tolerance can be. Give him the cash for a bus ticket next time.

·
Registered
23,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: yeah so my bro wrecked my car...... (WolfsburgTekniques)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm not upset about your car. What I'm upset about is that we all try to keep the drunk from leaving the bar so as to avoid accidents. Instead, people like you are starting the process of getting someone who has been drinking on the road even sooner. Sorry bud, I don't care how big your brother is or how high his tolerance can be. Give him the cash for a bus ticket next time.[HR][/HR]​
Look i trusted him, for all I know he had no drinks at all, I have no idea how the accident happeend, all I know is the damage.
Im glad half of vortex fixes blame for this on me, like your all perfect and have never had two drinks then two hours later drove home, which would be the situation if he even did drink, which as i staed before, I dont even know if he did. id like to see how you guys would feel if someone else wrecked your car

1 - 20 of 38 Posts