VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Golf to Jiffy Lube today to get an oil change, since it was a fair bit over 3K miles and I didn't want to wait a few days to take it to the dealer, plus I had the day off work. There was yellow/orange/brown gunk under the oil fill cap, which I assume means that there is or was water in the oil. I could have had the engine cleaned for $20 (I told them not to, I had a suspicion it was "unnecessary" maintenance I didn't need to spend money on.)
Is water in the oil the likely cause, and what suggestions do others have? The car is driven to work and back most days, though on weekends it goes out on longer trips. It does make it to normal operating temperature on the trips, though, since they're 15-20 minutes long each way. Jiffy Lube changed the oil and filter and replaced the oil with Pennzoil 5W-30 (I watched them do it, so I know they actually pulled down the hose from the right tank to do the fill with... though why do they HAVE to fill the oil through the dipstick pipe? Argh.)
Also, the low coolant light comes on on some cold winter mornings and goes out after a bit as if the coolant takes a bit to start flowing. It's an intermittent problem and the coolant level in the tank is always full.
The car runs very smoothly at all times.
Anyone have any ideas on either? I do plan to mention this to the service dept the next time the car goes in for a 10K service, no matter what.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Re: Yellow gunk under oil cap (water in oil?) and coolant light (Buran)

Water in the oil is right. Where it came from? I dunno, but you may not want to wait too long to find out. Regardless of how it got in there, coolant and bearings don't play well together.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Yellow gunk under oil cap (Replicant)

quote:[HR][/HR]Water in the oil is right.[HR][/HR]​
There's a pretty good chance the guy was trying to scam me as far as the oil is concerned, as I added a bit of oil to the car to bring it up to 3/4 full from a little over empty earlier in the week. (The car isn't an oil drinker but I drove it hard one day recently. I do check oil every couple of fillups.) I do not recall there being any buildup on the bottom of the fill cap then, and that was just about four or five days ago or so. The car drives perfectly smoothly, no sweet-smelling exhaust smoke or anything like that.
Still, I'll keep a very close eye on this and check under the cap often and watch for smoke or any other sign of trouble. If anything shows up, to the dealer I go. Thankfully, I have an extended warranty on the car and have no engine or powertrain mods at all.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Re: Yellow gunk under oil cap (Buran)

That coolant light is telling you the engine is cold and not drive hard until it goes out. Mine only comes on on really cold mornings - so hardly ever in Florida.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Re: Yellow gunk under oil cap (badb5)

the yellow gunk is normal, about half the cars i see have it
i think it may be from using pump oil
that is only my opinion

we use castrol 5w30 per vw rec. and we use it in bootles
i think this is much better than pump oil

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

btw
the coolant light only comes on for 2 reasons
low coolant or overheating
ck your level and if not overheating maybe you have a bad temp sender
the only car w/ a cold indicator is the beetle and it comes on blue

·
Registered
20,077 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]That coolant light is telling you the engine is cold and not drive hard until it goes out. [HR][/HR]​
No.
I see colder temperatures for a few months each year than you will ever experience in Florida and my coolant light has never come on. I'll bet my left nut that your statement is wrong.

[Modified by F1_Fan, 9:19 PM 11-30-2002]

·
Registered
866 Posts
Re: Yellow gunk under oil cap (LouGti8v)

quote:[HR][/HR]the yellow gunk is normal, about half the cars i see have it
i think it may be from using pump oil
that is only my opinion

we use castrol 5w30 per vw rec. and we use it in bootles
i think this is much better than pump oil[HR][/HR]​
I think your right. My wife car has been to Jiffy Lube and I see the yellow gunk. I purchase 5w 30 100% synthetic for the GTI VR6 and I do not see the yellow gunk. GTI gets much more use and runs fantastic. I always wondered about that yellow gunk. 2.0 Jetta GlS

·
Registered
184 Posts
Re: Yellow gunk under oil cap (skills)

I have this problem with my 2.0 but it only seems to happen when it's cold outside. It's like it burns out in the summer but can't get rid of it in the winter. It it hard on the engine? I"m running Syntec 5W 30 already. Is there any way of preventing it?

·
25,057 Posts
Re: Yellow gunk under oil cap (blujett2.0)

it's condensation. It happens more when it's cold, when the car isn't driven alot/far, and happens alot on 2.0's. Unless you are getting a ton of it, oil in the coolant, coolant out the tailpipe (sweet smell) or are losing a large amount of coolant I wouldn't even worry about it.

·
Premium Member
7,890 Posts
Re: Yellow gunk under oil cap (rs4-380)

Quote, originally posted by rs4-380 »
it's condensation. It happens more when it's cold, when the car isn't driven alot/far, and happens alot on 2.0's. Unless you are getting a ton of it, oil in the coolant, coolant out the tailpipe (sweet smell) or are losing a large amount of coolant I wouldn't even worry about it.

Exactly... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif My old 2.0 would accumulate the same gunk once the ambient temps dropped and the coolant light would also come on occasionally in the coldest weather.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Re: Yellow gunk under oil cap (blujett2.0)

I am just blown away by the crazy posts in this thread! People, if you don't know what you are talking about then don't post stupid junk here and confuse the feeble-minded.

1. The yellow goo/gunk/sludge, whatever you call it, is nothing more than oil sludge. This happens due mixing of water vapors with oil fumes. You can see this happening in two locations: the oil filler cap and the oil dipstick.
2. This normally happens when your dipstick tube is cracked and/or the oil gaskets on the oil cap and the oil breather are broken. This allows for water vapors to come in contact with oil fumes from the engine.
3. When the weather is cold, condensation occurs inside and you see this yellow stuff you are talking about.
Things to do to minimize and eliminate this problem:
1) Switch to fully synthetic oil. Synthetics have much higher resistance to sludging.
2) Replace your oil gaskets mentioned above and the plastic dipstick tube. Check my DIY for some information on this.
3) Drive longer trips. Driving longer trips allows for the oil fumes to be burned. No oil fumes to mix with water vapor means no sludging.
Some more reading material for you:
1. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1759840
2. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2526976
P.S.
DO SOME SEARCHING! THIS IS A HEAVILY DISCUSSED TOPIC!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts