VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Re: Yellow headlamps: Anyone know how to make em clear again? (BLKB4GLX)

I tried to clear mine up with plastic polish from Meguires. there seems to be a little improvement even after a lot of elbow grease is used on them them, but a lot of the damage seems to be deep into the plastic lens. What really kills the optical performance is not just the yellowing, but the crazing (micro cracks) that develop within the lens and can never be polished out completely. The darn DRLs don't help out either. Imagine the constant cooking that the lenses suffer everytime you drive the car. My final solution to the problem would be to buy Euro market E-codes that have the glass lenses. My problem is, I never have any extra money to buy them because something else more urgent maintainance-wise seems to always come up with the car.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Re: Yellow headlamps: Anyone know how to make em clear again? (BLKB4GLX)

Why is it that some car companies think it is a good thing to use plastic covers?
Funny... When I think of yellowing headlamps I think of caravans and ram vans.
I wonder how all the new VWs are going to look in 7 years... Doesn't every model now have plastic covers?

[Modified by Ken93P-GLX, 7:44 AM 1-23-2003]

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Re: Yellow headlamps: Anyone know how to make em clear again? (Ken93P-GLX)

Most car manufacturers all seem to have plastic lenses and I think people should revolt against the Autmotive manufacturing business. It all seems like they are trying to screw us out of our hard earn money!

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Re: Yellow headlamps: Anyone know how to make em clear again? (scottd)

quote:[HR][/HR]Most car manufacturers all seem to have plastic lenses and I think people should revolt against the Autmotive manufacturing business. It all seems like they are trying to screw us out of our hard earn money![HR][/HR]​
Or prevent having to purchase new headlight assemblies every year or so .... how many fog lights have you needed to replace because of cracked lenses??
Me -- at least 4 or 5 in the past 24 months. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Re: Yellow headlamps: Anyone know how to make em clear again? (f1forkvr6)

i polished mine out with some 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper.... then polished them out with some plastic polish.. came out clear, but not factory fresh clear. HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.