VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im kinda new to the rabbit world.... i have had a few rados and mk2s . but i decided its time to go a little lighter ... so now im here building a rabbit . if you guys are interested ill kinda document the build up and give you some tipsand show you what troubles you might run into if you are interested in doing the swap also . well onto the pics ... i work out of town and when got back home after being gone for about 2 monthsand opened up all my boxes this is what i had

yes 4 foggers are needed

the turbo of choice is a little bigger then the usual 50 trim .48ar t304e ... its a precision SC44 with a .63 ar

here is the momentum motor parts kit to upgrade to 11inch rado brakes ,.. i know it can be done without it ... but it looks like a extremmmmely nice kit .. even comes with locktite and some suspension lube !

and to accompany that

haltech e6k should take care of the fuel and spark ... i am having the hardest damn time trying to get a motronic chip for it so i can use the factory trigger wheel
72 lb ers are goin in with a zornig fuel rail and turbo mani

a AEB head is goin in .. as you can see where i scribed .. the ports need to be opened up a bit just to get a decent port match . ... but im goin a little farther then that with the die grinder

and its all goin in this hoopty

here is the lump that is coming out tonight ... dont ask about the block of wood sitting ontop of the carb lol .. its a longggg story

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Yet another 20v build thread (Trevahhhh)

welll i allready ran into my first delima ... intercooler lol . the core is 17 inches tall and apparently there is only 13 inches from wherethe radiator sat and the top of the radiator support ... i could just cut a big chunk of the support and box it back in .. but thenthe intercooler would be sitting outside of the car below the bumper... i guess i could do a clipper kit and that would cover it eh ? or i could cut the intercooler down to 13 inches
thats means i would only have a 13x19 inch core ...

orrrrr i could so a massive wrx style hoodscoop right on the front of the hood and let the intercooler stick out the top of the hood eh ?

·
Banned
3,090 Posts
Re: (TWEAK'D~84~RABBIT)

First, welcome to the Mk1 forum. Once you go Mk1... you never go back.

Secondly, looks like you have a good plan, and you're off to a good start,
collecting the parts. Good luck with everything, we've got a great group of
people here to help you when and if you ever need it. My suggestion, [I
know you didn't ask], keep the exterior as stock as possible!
P.S. What's with the block of wood sitting on top of the carb?

cheers.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Re: (Crazyfurdubs)

Oh man i love threads like this!!
Keep the pics coming no matter how insignificant they seem! They really give an insight into how much work is involved.
Have fun! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Re: (SilberGTi)

I would get a different intercooler, cutting into that front end is not recommendable, unless you are going to mount it MKIV style (The motor, not the intercooler), which I would probably do, but havent seen yet.

Modified by patatron at 12:57 PM 11-26-2004

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Re: (patatron)

Trevahhhh check out CWS Tuning. Look for the black 1.8t rabbit page 2 in the gallery section. You will see his intercooler in the front of a custom made bumper it is extremely small and he is pushing 300 plus hp with that setup. I say get a smalller intercooler. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://www.cwstuning.com
Modified by Jeramiah at 12:12 PM 11-26-2004

Modified by Jeramiah at 12:14 PM 11-26-2004

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay tyhe story about the block of wood ontop of the carb .... wow buckle down lol . so i bought the car about a hour and a half away from my house . and anyone that knows about these motors ... there is a little plastice piece inbetween the carb and intake mani . well it ripped in half.... and i needed to get the car home . so a buddy and I went to home depot and got a piece of inche a nd a half conduit (electrical piping) .. cut it down and widdled the plastice on the carb end and the manifold end ... and shoved the piece of pipe in there so the carb would stay on . well it still didnt want to stay . so we wedged the piece of wood in there and put a screw through the raintray so the carb would stay on there lol . next the electronic choke wouldnt stay closed . so we ziptied that off ... drove a couple of miles but once the car got started upit flooded the motor ... co u cut the ziptie off and it drove like champ . next thing .. after about 40 minutes of driving the alternator belt decided to depart . so i drive about another 40 minutes home without a alternator ... at night lol . optima red tops rock !

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as far as the exterior .. that has allways been my style .. i keep em fairly stock looking . the only exterior mods which will be a while off is shaving the sidemoldings .. going single headlight with a duckbill . but that is a ways off . as far as the intercooler goes ... im just gonna chop this one down and have the end tanks welded back up 13x19 inches is still a decent core size . if you guys have any ideas or advice feel free to add to it . i sure as hell donw know everything lol
Trever

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Trevahhhh)

ok so i have some bad news .. well for me ... its not a big deal BUT THE SIDE MOUNT DOESNT BOLT UP ... as you can see its there for the bottum bolt but nowhere near for the upper one ... and the bracket is getting into the waterpump area( circle of duct-tape) . so i am either gonna make a bracket from scratch .. or add to the top of this onebracket so i can get a bolt in the top and just tap the block in that area ... at this moment im leaning towards making a new bracket for the motor mount .
by the way this is a AMB block out of a 2002 audi a4 that uses a internal waterpump and the oilpump is chain driven off the crank
the motor mount DOES bolt up a AEB block .. as you can see in this pic i have the mount sittin up there backwards but the bolt holes do line up

the AEB is pretty much just a jh motor .. it uses the external waterpump and the oilpump is driven off the intermediat shaft .
ok on the AMB motor .. the one out of the audi im using .. the front motor mount lines up ... the one thing is on the top .. im gonna have to drill the threads .. as the block is threaded .. and ill just put a nut on the other side . here is a pic of that

heres pullin the motor .. if anyone wants the 1.7 motor .. or tranny ill allmost give the stuff away .. and supposedly the ac worked too ! it had a charge anyways when i took the condenser out

on another note i started porting the head yesterday here is a exhaust port before goin over it with the cartridge roll

and here is after sanding it a bit witha cartridge roll

look at that nasty transition from the throat cut to the valve seat from the factory

does this look a little bit better ?

well its allmost 5 in the morning ... i need to get some sleep

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Re: (Trevahhhh)

Quote, originally posted by Trevahhhh »
ok so i have some bad news .. well for me ... its not a big deal BUT THE SIDE MOUNT DOESNT BOLT UP ... as you can see its there for the bottum bolt but nowhere near for the upper one ... and the bracket is getting into the waterpump area( circle of duct-tape) . so i am either gonna make a bracket from scratch .. or add to the top of this onebracket so i can get a bolt in the top and just tap the block in that area ... at this moment im leaning towards making a new bracket for the motor mount .

Fear not, there is a way!! I can show you a picture of my mount, or i can link you to a site with all the 20v into A1 info you're ever gonna need (probably). Have a good look around, there is info on how to do all the engine mounts.
So here it is http://www.funksoulkitty.org And while you're there sign Kirstens guestbook!
And if you have one, or know anyone with a mk1 Scirocco that's in need of new turn signals, in amber, clear, or custom colors, She's your girl! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
(I am currently contracted to say that!!
)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Re: (polov8)

Quote, originally posted by polov8 »
Fear not, there is a way!! I can show you a picture of my mount, or i can link you to a site with all the 20v into A1 info you're ever gonna need (probably). Have a good look around, there is info on how to do all the engine mounts.

PROBABLY??

For info on modifying the passenger side mount:
http://funksoulkitty.org/shock....html
If you are going to be swapping in an 02J tranny, there is info on making the driver's side and rear tranny mounts as well:
Driver's Side Mount
Rear Mount
Thanks for getting the word out on the turn signals Andy....and my guestbook and of course my website

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah thanks for the links .. im definatly gonna use a 16v timing belt tensioner with a spacer like you did ... i cant stand that setup on these motors .. as far as the tranny goes ... i have a o2a laying around and a quaife for it .. so thats goin in . i think need_a_vr6 is gonna hopefully make me mounts for that .
i just got a call today and i have to leave for 2 weeks to do a job in willmington NC .. so there wont be any progress for a little while unforunatly

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

well im bored in a hotel room so im gonna post up some pics of what i got done a day or 2 before i left
i guess somebody thought it would be a good idea to coat the engine bay with undercoating ... yes undercoating as in that plasticy.. rubbery stuff coating the bottum of are cars(well i guess oil in most peoples cases lol .)

so degreaser and the pressure washer didnt work on it
i had to soak the crap in paint thinner till it got kinda gewy .. then pressure wash it off ... spray it down with a spray bottle .. let it soak and do it again .. it took me about 6 hours to get it looking like this

that crap left a nice brown... slippery film on the driveway my mom wasnt too happy about

so my rossmachine plenum came in ... and for those that dont know much about 1.8ts ... im using the AEB head ... which the ports are about a half inch wider(i kid you not .. ill get pics when i get home) . so that meant i want to use the AEB intake manifold . the only problem is its made for a longitudily mounted engine .. and the throttlebody would be in the radiator . so i ordered their universal plenum . on their site it says 2 foot minimum ... so under quanity i selected 1 .. thinking i was gonna get 1 two foot piece ? nah i got a foot lol and the distance between the first and 4th runner is about 13 inches .

a very nice piece if anyone is thinking about building a custom intake mani.. it take away alot of the work
and i allways like to put a face with a name ... here is a pic of the man behind this schpeal
hopefully ill get alot done as soon as i get home ... which will be sunday hopefully

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Trevahhhh »
im using the AEB head ... which the ports are about a half inch wider(i kid you not .. ill get pics when i get home) .

In the meantime.....

AEB ports:

AWP ports:

Intake Manifolds:

Sorry....couldn't resist....I just miss Shocky Jr....need to fill the void somehow

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Re: Yet another 20v build thread (funksoulkitty)

What's the deal with transport? I thought he was coming home around now??

1 - 20 of 492 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.