VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey My name is Cody and I'm located in New Mexico. Recently purchased this beauty of a 84 mk1 with a euro front. Hope yall enjoy this thread :D

Attachments

·
Registered
Eight diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
1,366 Posts
Project? Looks pretty complete already.

I see at least two different grilles and three sets of wheels in those photos. I like the Ronals and double rounds the best. 👍

What's the plan?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well paint and everything has been pretty peachy from previous owner. Now has cabby grille and the bbs. The ATS are for sale. Have some gti parts to throw at it. Engine swap and better paint.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think you may have the same issue I am dealing with on my Techtonics down pipe - the length places the cat way to far back. it looks like you may have to cut close to 6" off of the end, and then add the appropriate 3 hole flange to attach the cat.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The question is, are you planning to run a cat? Or are you just looking for an exhaust to connect to the header? If the former, @El Scotto is probably correct, you'll need to shorten the stinger and add a flange for the cat.

But if the latter, buy whatever system you like. Anything you buy off the shelf will need some mods - either to the stinger or to the front end of the exhaust or both - to connect to the header.

That Raceland header is designed primarily as a 'race' header. The long tubes leading to the final merge way downstream and the lack of any flex points close to the engine are typical racing design features. You are going to want very stiff motor mounts to try to keep the engine from rocking, otherwise you can expect the header to develop stress cracks in the downtubes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The question is, are you planning to run a cat? Or are you just looking for an exhaust to connect to the header? If the former, @El Scotto is probably correct, you'll need to shorten the stinger and add a flange for the cat.

But if the latter, buy whatever system you like. Anything you buy off the shelf will need some mods - either to the stinger or to the front end of the exhaust or both - to connect to the header.

That Raceland header is designed primarily as a 'race' header. The long tubes leading to the final merge way downstream and the lack of any flex points close to the engine are typical racing design features. You are going to want very stiff motor mounts to try to keep the engine from rocking, otherwise you can expect the header to develop stress cracks in the downtubes.
Gotcha! Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I highly recommend a support bracket at the bottom of the engine. VW used one on the transmission too on some models.

·
Registered
21,441 Posts
It all depends on where your flexure is.
On the original dual down on early GTIs and Sciroccos the flexure was after the dual down pipe and the support or brace was to stop manifold flexure and force it to the flex from the dual down at the bottom to the Cat.

On latter years the dual down manifold was Beefier, and the flex was moved to the bottom of the manifold so the advent of the brace wasn't needed as all the flex was at the flex.

I too agree that if you are going the header route, then your flex should be after the header, and that you ought to brace the header at the bottom to prevent the pipes from cracking.

on the 90ish cabriolets there wasn't a flexure point that the 89 toilet bowls had so most of the manifolds tended to crack Well 3 out of the 3 of mine did. The manifold was cost reduced and poorly designed which is why I suspect that thet cracked more often... Had one crack in such a way that it whistled similar to an old beetle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts