VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the second owner of a 1984 VW GTI. The car was originally a New Mexico car and now it in Northern California. So the option of deleting the A/C is off the table. While removing the A/C compressor to change the water pump, I discovered it is cracked and unrepairable. So it seems my options are to locate another York A/C compressor (Part Number: 171820805XHM) or find something else that will work. Additionally, the A/C hasn't worked in the five years I've owned the car. So I will likely have to replace additional parts to get it up and working.

Any leads on a new/ renewed York compressor would be greatly appreciated. If there are other options I would be open to them too.

thanks

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
There are plenty of threads about this. Most people get rid of the York, and go with the Sanden 508 from the Cabby. Grab most everything from the Cabby.

-Todd

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yorks are still available if you just have to keep it original looking. While this linked vendor caters to Porsche, it's an example, and I suspect the base compressor is the same: https://griffiths.com/product/911-york-without-clutch-2/

But I second the recommendation to convert to a more modern compressor like the Sanden from a later Cabriolet. It's a much improved unit.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I can relate to your situation. A few years a go I moved from the cool SoCal beach to the hot Vegas desert and suddenly AC went from a option to mandatory. My Mk1 Caddy had the same York "shoebox" compressor and was also non-op like yours. Fortunately one benefit to living in this desert is there are a lot of highly skilled and very experienced air con experts. So I was able to learn a lot about AC systems in a short period of time.

As other have noted, the York compressor is older technology. It uses a piston and crankshaft similar to that in an engine. Therefore even if you could get one it is large, heavy, and inefficient. Most modern compressors have a different design using several small pistons on something of a rotary affair that is much more efficient. VW switched to these more modern design compressors later on. So as it was stated you will find all of the needed mounting brackets and related hardware in a Cabriolet. The brackets come up for sale now and then on Vortex but you may also find it in a wrecking yard or from someone parting out a Cabbie. They are made to mount a Sanden compressor, which is much lighter and smaller but puts out more cooling capacity while requiring less load on the engine. Plus the Sanden 508 compressor is very popular with all of the hot rod and muscle car crowd so they are readily available at good prices. Most of the aftermarket AC conversion kits also use them. Definitely the way to go.

The remainder of the AC system can also be upgraded with more modern, more efficient components. Look for universal fit items in the dimensions needed. A parallel flow condenser, a reciever dryer with a trinary control switch, a new expansion valve, and all new barrier hoses will complete the install. You can reuse the evaporator in the factory AC-heater box, but have it thoroughly flushed first. Your old system will be contaminated so you do not want to reuse many of the old components and carefully clean any that are reused. All of these parts is not expensive if you shop online. And any local AC shop can help with the instal if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Newer Cabriolet uses a rotary type compressor and should be a bolt on affair as long as you get all the hardware. The hoses will not fit so you may want to get those too. I do not know if the Cabriolet hoses will bolt up to the expansion valve and evaporator inside the cabin.

I most likely will convert my Caddy to A/C but I have all the parts from an older Cabriolet. What I plan on doing is using a Cabriolet heater box and compressor. I would install the largest universal condenser that would fit in the front and custom make hoses to make all the components work.

If you go the Cabriolet route, do not forget to get all the pulleys since that seems to be the biggest issues with the belt drive. VW likes to change the offset to screw you over.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I am about to remove a York compressor on an 83 Rabbit. No belt assuming it does not work. It was converted to R134 at some point. willing to let it go cheap if you want all brackets, bolts, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the responses and recommendations. I think it's a good idea to switch Sanden set up instead of sticking with the old "shoebox" York. My goal has always been to make a nice, reliable, and comfortable driver for longer trips. So it makes sense to upgrade the A/C system to meet that goal. I also have very little interest in dealing with the overly engineered York A/C bracket again. It just means the car will come off the road earlier than usual, but that's okay. Besides, right now, it's not too enjoyable to drive with the windows rolled down in the smoky Norcal air. It's hard to complain when I'm happy, healthy, and safe. While others are in danger and being evacuated and losing their homes. Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Thank you for the responses and recommendations. I think it's a good idea to switch Sanden set up instead of sticking with the old "shoebox" York. My goal has always been to make a nice, reliable, and comfortable driver for longer trips. So it makes sense to upgrade the A/C system to meet that goal. I also have very little interest in dealing with the overly engineered York A/C bracket again. It just means the car will come off the road earlier than usual, but that's okay. Besides, right now, it's not too enjoyable to drive with the windows rolled down in the smoky Norcal air. It's hard to complain when I'm happy, healthy, and safe. While others are in danger and being evacuated and losing their homes. Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.
I've seen a York listed for sale on NorCal Criaglist a few times the last couple of years. I forget if it was new old stock or rebuilt but it was boxed as new might be an option if it was posted by someone here. I tried Wayback Time Machine and no luck...I agree it and the mounting system are a boat anchor but if you can find that again it was pretty cheap IIRC.

Here's one on eBay...have no idea if quality is good.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remanufact...swagen&hash=item23dcc3fc06:g:xNcAAOSwSGtfI8G6

1 - 8 of 8 Posts