9,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GROUND WIRES: HOW-TO GUIDE
Here's what you'll need:
-a good 45-60 mins
-11ft of 4 or 8 awg copper power cables
-Knife
-Wire Cutter/Stripper Tool
-12 crimp connectors (openings around 5/16 or 3/8's will be fine)
-Pliers or something similar to crimp ends
-And the obvious socket set for the points you choose to use

(4awg vs 8awg)
Step One: Measure & Cut Wires
What you're going to want to do is make sure you measure each wire by hand so that you'll have just the right amount of wire from each point. You do not want to leave alot of wire dangling around your engine compartment nor do you want to leave your wires too short. When measuring each, make sure you take in to concideration that you will be crimping on ends to the wires.
For example: Here are some points that I chose to use:

Step Two: Crimp on the ends
This is pretty self explanitory. Everyone should know how to crimp on some ends. If your not sure how, send me an IM. I'll walk you through it. Here are my finished wires:

Step Three: Grounding the Wires
Ok, now its time to start grounding the wires. Above, was a brief ms paint job on where I have my grounding points. To this mod there are certain points that must be used. Here's a list of the points:
-Passenger fender
-Driver fender
-Centralized point
-Point on the block
-Tranny grounding point
-Negative battery terminal
The following pictures are Hungalicious' ride with the points that I recommend:
Ground Point One: From fender to throttle body

*note* the black tap on the throttle body can me removed to give you extra thread if you are not going to be using your engine cover.
Ground Point Two: From throttle body to the central point near FPR.
**Caution** do not over tighten this bolt. It is very sensitive and easy to break.

Ground Point Three: From central point to negative terminal on the battery

Ground Point Four From central point to negative ground on tranny

*note* this picture does not show ground wires connected to it. But this is the point you'll use to connect two grounds.
Ground Point Five: Negative ground on tranny to negative terminal on battery
(need picture)

Ground Point Six: Point from negative terminal on battery to point on chassis

*note* Hungalicious used the bolting point near the air box, but I would highly recommend the point on the inner fender. Same point used on passenger fender. Such as black2001aww did here:

Voila! Your done! Now go out and enjoy a cleaner radio, better throttle response, and some extra hp/tq!

*Note*
My points that I used, Hungalicious, and Black2001aww, was recommended to me by some great local guys. You can add as many other points as you'd like. An example of an extra point is the coilpack ground that BlackAWW2001 used:

Now, although you can add as many extra points as you'd like, there are also some points that you cannot change, or not use. These points are:
-Tranny ground
-negative terminal
There are requirements to this mod that you must follow, but you are allowed to change the points. For example, you must have these points:
-Passenger fender
-Driver fender
-Central Point
-Point on block
These points are required but you can change the points. If you find a different bolt on the fenders that you want to try, go for it. Or if you find a better centralized point, try it out. Same for points on the block. These are points that you can experiment with, but you must have.
Also, all these pictures can also be enlarged by adding .orig.jpg
Enjoy!

Modified by Seanathan` at 8:59 PM 11-15-2003

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: You asked for it here it is: Grounding Points (Seanathan`)

Alright guys, I finished the guide. Thank you Hungalicious, Bug Power, Black2001aww, Chris86vw, Nessal, and JudoGTI for the great info and pictures.
And as you can see, my only digital camera is my cellphone, so i'll soon have to get off my ass and meet up with Perfekt or Flyinturbo for use of their cameras

Modified by Seanathan` at 8:42 PM 11-15-2003

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: You asked for it here it is: Grounding Points (Nessal)

Here's a better view of some of the grounding points. Thanks Nessal for the pic btw! Oh yeah, and disregard the yellow circle.http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Btw, I can take a picture of my engine bay if someone local has a digital camera

Modified by Seanathan` at 11:23 PM 10-6-2003

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: You asked for it here it is: Grounding Points (FlyinTurbo)

Quote, originally posted by FlyinTurbo »
I've got one.. just let me know when...
Oh, wait.. I guess I could just snap one of my cars FOR you?!

lol. I guess you could. But it would be nice to finally put my car on here

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: You asked for it here it is: Grounding Points (evilpat)

For gains I have personally noticed better throttle response, a bit more torque, and about 50 extra miles per tank of gas. Like i said, i have them off now but i will be putting them back on and will use the Vag to see any differences.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: You asked for it here it is: Grounding Points (Perfekt)

Quote, originally posted by Perfekt »
I'm sure between Greg and I, we could get a pic of your engine bay on here. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I'll probably be heading to the Pavillions on Sat. Either of you guys going up at all?

·
Registered
5,033 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Seanathan` »
For gains I have personally noticed better throttle response, a bit more torque, and about 50 extra miles per tank of gas. Like i said, i have them off now but i will be putting them back on and will use the Vag to see any differences.

That about convinces me . . . figure about $2 gallon over time = money saved to cover the mod and then some! Bump for more pics.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Seanathan` »
I'll probably be heading to the Pavillions on Sat. Either of you guys going up at all?

I believe Saturday is the Globe drive, so unless we are all (don't think Greg is going) back in time for Pavs, we'd have to get together another time.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Re: You asked for it here it is: Grounding Points (Perfekt)

I dont understand the concept behind this!
IN that picture on top with the Yellow lines and circles, are they suppose to represent? Mounting points to run wire to? (5-6)?
Is there a benefit to running more than one ground?
and
Does the # of grounds have an exponantial effect on this mod?
Is this a good deal on these?

Red Heavy Duty Grounding Wire Kit, Universal Retail Price: $99.99
ON SALE NOW! $49.99
FREE SHIPPING

Modified by Juan8Tee at 3:32 PM 10-7-2003

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Re: You asked for it here it is: Grounding Points (mzdaklr)

Quote, originally posted by mzdaklr »
I have no idea what this post is about, buy 50 mpt would be very nice. Please explain what you did.

I am blissfully ignorant here too. What exactly are we doing? Re-grounding points in our engine?
Could you please explain this a little more in depth for idiots like me. Thx

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
What was your logic behind choosing the grounding points that you did? Also, is their any reason to think that this may cause a ground loop of some sort or do you have all termination points going to the same place as the battery ground?

1 - 20 of 603 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.