VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help figuring out how a particular wheel will work on my car. I've got a Mk4 Jetta wagon ... I'd like to get as much "lip" on the wheel as possible, without poking out really far past the edge of the fender. I'm also planning on getting the same dimensions on all 4 corners so I can rotate tires.
Something else to keep in mind: I'll be running KW Variant I coilovers as well.
Here's the wheel I'm considering:

Option 1: 8,5x18 ET47 with a 10mm spacer to bring it to ET37mm
Option 2: 9x18 ET40 with a 10mm spacer to bring it to ET30mm
Supposedly Option 2 will give me nearly 3 inches of lip and won't rub the fenders. But I'm thinking that it will stick out a little more than I'd like.
Any thoughts/considerations would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
32,664 Posts
Re: you got lip? give me some advice ... (moclov)

if you really want dish, most of the rims are going to be wide as hell and stick out far... for ex. brocks, they stick out soooo far... and there is nothing wrong with that. by the way, those are CRAZY EXPENSIVE WHEELS!!!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: you got lip? give me some advice ... (T0oDamnFast)

quote:[HR][/HR]if you really want dish, most of the rims are going to be wide as hell and stick out far... for ex. brocks, they stick out soooo far... and there is nothing wrong with that. by the way, those are CRAZY EXPENSIVE WHEELS!!!
[HR][/HR]​
Thanks for the input.
I've been looking at some pics of Mk4 Golfs, and it looks like the 8,5 fitment might work, but that only gives me about 2.25-2.5 inches of lip ... whereas the 9 fitment gives close to 3.

On the pics of the 8,5 fitment, it didn't look to "pokey", but looks can sometimes be deceiving.
Mad $$$? Hmm ... guess not too many folks'll have 'em then.

[Modified by moclov, 3:44 PM 1-24-2003]

·
Registered
32,664 Posts

keep in mind that you wont be able to rotate with mixed sizes front and back... not a big deal, the rears stay mint while the fronts get ravaged

i'm also lookin into dish'd rims - and i think i've picked mine out, mine will be 8.5 front, 9.5 back - AND i might still concider spacers

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]keep in mind that you wont be able to rotate with mixed sizes front and back... not a big deal, the rears stay mint while the fronts get ravaged

[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, I fully intend to get the same dimensions front and rear. I like to rotate ... it'll increase the life of the tires, since I'll be running relatively expensive rubber.
quote:[HR][/HR]
i'm also lookin into dish'd rims - and i think i've picked mine out, mine will be 8.5 front, 9.5 back - AND i might still concider spacers
[HR][/HR]​
Don't want to know what rims you're getting, but who's the retailer? Maybe they might be able to help me out.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: you got lip? give me some advice ... (Jettaway)

quote:[HR][/HR]Drool! Those wheels are sick.. Pretty expensive too.
Go to http://www.colour-tuning.de and check out their picture gallery.[HR][/HR]​
yup ... been there, done that ... got a wet keyboard now ...

[Modified by moclov, 4:49 PM 1-24-2003]

·
Registered
32,664 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Don't want to know what rims you're getting, but who's the retailer? Maybe they might be able to help me out.
Thanks again.[HR][/HR]​
...my retailer has already been meantioned on this page

·
Registered
2,976 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]keep in mind that you wont be able to rotate with mixed sizes front and back... not a big deal, the rears stay mint while the fronts get ravaged

[HR][/HR]​
Rial Daytona's???

·
Registered
8,445 Posts

if you want a larger dish wouldnt you want a lower # offset (like et13)and no spacers so the wheel is spaced out more, most dished rims with a 35 or so offset have very little dish if im thinking correctly, just something to look in to.

[Modified by UTdaneVW, 1:43 PM 1-24-2003]

·
Registered
287 Posts

Does not matter what you do, those rims are off the Chain. Just remember lowering with 18's will eat the ride up a bit. But the car will look phat as hell. I really like those rims.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: you got lip? give me some advice ... (UTdaneVW)

quote:[HR][/HR]if you want a larger dish wouldnt you want a lower # offset (like et13)and no spacers so the wheel is spaced out more, most dished rims with a 35 or so offset have very little dish if im thinking correctly, just something to look in to.
[HR][/HR]​
I believe you are right ... when you're talking about wheels with "flatter" spokes (like the brock B1's).
I think that because this wheel's spokes curve, it puts the mounting face of the wheel further away from the hub ... hence the ET 30-something. I translated the technical documentation of this wheel, and the 8,5 w/ET47 has a 2.25 or 2.5 inch lip (can't remember now).
But thanks for bringing that up.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: you got lip? give me some advice ... (Suave)

quote:[HR][/HR]Does not matter what you do, those rims are off the Chain. Just remember lowering with 18's will eat the ride up a bit. But the car will look phat as hell. I really like those rims.[HR][/HR]​
I like 'em too. Hopefully I can get things figured out and get them on the car!!
In terms of the ride ... I've been in a couple coilover-lowered cars w/18's - wasn't too bad. I'm not planning on slamming it, and I have no intention of autocrossing or doing 1/4 miles. I've got a chip and exhaust and that's plenty to get me in trouble.
This is just a daily driver that's going to look good and have a little get-up-and-go.

·
Registered
370 Posts

If the 9 inch wide rims won't rub on the front, definitely go for them.
I'm in the process of determining sizes and offsets for my 03 GTI, and I'm not going all the way to 10" in the rear, probably go with 8 or 8.5 front, and 9 or 9.5 rear.
Autobahn X gave me the following information :
Kerscher New Star 17x8 we recommended 30mm offset.
Kerscher New Star 17x8.5 we recommend 32mm offset.
Kerscher New Star 17x9 we recommend 30mm offset.
Kerscher New Star 17x9.5 we recommend 35mm offset.
For 17x8 or 8.5 we recommend 225/45/17 size tire.
For 17x9 or 9.5 we recommend 235/40/17 size tire.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Not really interested in the rims protruding beyond the fender lip, even with it would be perfect with a 225 front and 235 or bigger (depending on rim) rear.
This is with KW Coilovers V3 INOX, and maybe spacers to "even" the look out.

[Modified by ee-gti, 8:19 PM 1-24-2003]

·
Registered
370 Posts

After looking at the Tracer website, the recommended offsets for Golf and Bora, I'm totally confused about what offset to use.
I think they list 8,5Jx18ET47 225/35R18 for the front & rear, and 9,5Jx18ET34 255/30R18 and 10Jx18ET28 255/35R18 or 265/30R18 for the rear only.
Doesn't a ET 47 seem a little high, wouldn't it interfere with the suspension components? Is it made to be used with spacers?
Also, it looks like the 9X18 at any offset would be a little too wide for the front, reguardless of offset or spacer use.
Food for thought, but I've got a lot of figuring to do before I lay down any cash for the Kerscher or Tracer Tech rims myself.
I might be wrong, but I thought that two 8 inch wide rims with identical offsets would sit the same in the fenderwell, reguardless of construction of the center section.
If you don't want the rims protruding beyond the fender lip significantly, better to err on the side of a little smaller, than bigger. And with the KW coilovers, that much less clearance to the inside. Need to find a way to "decode" those German PDF files, to see what all the notes say.
On a positive note, nothing but good things to say about the stainless steel outer rim of the tracer tech and schmidt 3 piece rims.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts