VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Was on my way back to Virginia from N.C. when this happened.
Thank goodness I had a good spare (donut), and a friend with me. I was in the middle of nowhere with no cash and no wireless service. Considering I was doing 75+, its probably a good thing the tire was on the rear and not the front.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Re: You gotta see this!! ('Hassan')

Now when it happened did you instantly slam on the brakes and swerve the wheel hard causing the car to go into an uncontrolled slide leaving the highway and rolling over end over end ??? No, because of you did you would be a Soccer mom in an SUV.

On the other hand that sucks. I hope the wheel is ok. Thats one hell of a seperation.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Re: You gotta see this!! (BadAssCorrado)

dude how??!!
what kinda tires and were you stretching them or something(rubbing badly)?
or just freak accident?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]Now when it happened did you instantly slam on the brakes and swerve the wheel hard causing the car to go into an uncontrolled slide leaving the highway and rolling over end over end ??? No, because of you did you would be a Soccer mom in an SUV.
[HR][/HR]​
LMAO

Thats too funny...but soooo true
quote:[HR][/HR]dude how??!!
what kinda tires and were you stretching them or something(rubbing badly)?
or just freak accident?
[HR][/HR]​
205/45 16 Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712. I don't recall the offset of the wheel, but I can tell you that the tire was not stretched (I am not fond of that look). Also, the tire was not rubbing.
I think after I picked up the nail, I gradually lost tire pressure. Ballin' along at 75-80 mph (for who knows how long) couldn't have helped much either. I must say, I have never had a tire disintegrate on me like this before...and I have pushed quite a few to their limits and beyond

·
Registered
2,431 Posts

hassan, glad to see ur ok http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

ive got a spare kumho at my house if u need it. wen my tire shredded at h20 i bought 2 new ones so it has low miles on it... but i think its a 205 40 16. anyway, its yours if u need it.

[Modified by crez, 5:05 AM 3-22-2003]

·
Registered
152 Posts

Dude!
You really had me going there until you said you were doing 75+.
Your car won't go that fast!! And everybody knows your girlfriend is the one who drives that car now!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: You gotta see this!! (crez)

crez
Thanks for the offer bro' http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
...we already snatched up another tire on Wednesday

[Modified by 'Hassan', 8:21 AM 3-22-2003]

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Re: You gotta see this!! (SDvr6)

same thing happened to my best friend while he was driving my passat this last december (while he was house sitting my place)... the 14' nokia tire completelly seperated itself...
nothing bad came out of it and since those tires were only on there second winter, the road hazard warranty gave me about 70% off on the replacement that I HAD to buy, maybe you will be able to get a partial discount from your store too

·
Registered
792 Posts
Re: You gotta see this!! (SDvr6)

I knew I would read something like this before my rims would go on.....damn damn damn
, oh well I guess I'll take my life into my own hands because i can't afford to drive on safe tires

please tell this was a freak occurance that could happen to Any tire ...

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: You gotta see this!! (BishopVR6)

So you lost tire pressure from a nail first? If that is the case than it would probably be considered normal for the sidewall to lose strength and eventually rip apart if it was driven on for any extended length of time. It seems that lower profile tires that have a strong sidewall tend to be harder to notice a loss of air pressure than a standard profile tire with a relatively weak and taller sidewall. So it might be possible you were driving on it for a while. I once lost tire pressure on the freeway and didn't even know it until I started hitting some very large bumps in the road. (road buckle points that shaped themselves into mini speedbumps.) The sidewalls were strong enough to hold up the weight of the car!
I wouldn't be too quick to discredit Kumho tires' quality because of this occurance.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Now when it happened did you instantly slam on the brakes and swerve the wheel hard causing the car to go into an uncontrolled slide leaving the highway and rolling over end over end ??? No, because of you did you would be a Soccer mom in an SUV.

[HR][/HR]​
Ouch, that's messed up dude

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Re: You gotta see this!! (anojes)

quote:[HR][/HR]Now I know the tire I am NOT going to buy for the front of my car.
[HR][/HR]​
i am not so lucky i just got 4 of them for my car
and 75-80mph is an everyday thing for me and on some days alot higher speeds.any one else have the same problem w/ the 712's?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Re: You gotta see this!! (vwfastg60)

Yep Dude....I've done it and it scaries the shiz out of you
Cause it only happens when the tire is spinning fast like 65+. A $175 Dunlop went out that way.....got low and the sidewalls just ripped away. And the Road Hazard Insurance doesn;'t cover it
hahahaha....i laughed after it happened cause it kindof super-fun losing total control at 70 hmmmmmm

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

wtf????????????????

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Re: You gotta see this!! (VW KEVIN G)

quote:[HR][/HR]So you lost tire pressure from a nail first? I wouldn't be too quick to discredit Kumho tires' quality because of this occurance. [HR][/HR]​
Amen bruddha......y'all gotta reed what Hassan sayed. Dood sayed he hads a nail in derr first, den lost pressure.....prolly woulda happen da same way if any o' be had been runnin' den Pirellis.....
I gots fo' Kumho, been 75-in' wit 'em, hell been buck-20-in' wit 'em too....wheels still good.....Everey tire company got one mis-hap....Firestone anyone?
hello.....
P.S. I dont talk like this, nor do I write like this with any regularity....just wanted to have some fun, give people some laughs.

[Modified by KrazeeKorrado13, 2:50 AM 3-23-2003]

·
Registered
810 Posts
Re: You gotta see this!! (KrazeeKorrado13)

YO---G....or something. DONT worry...ill talk normal.
When searching for new tires 2 months ago, i consulted none other than 'Hassan' at a local gtg- he said go with the kumho ecsta z. The president of "tread quarters" - a local tire and rim chain, has a daughter at my school, and he recommended the same thing, and when at courthouse imports, i picked up an issue of european car which reviewed 20 different performance tires all with different price ranges, and the KUMHO ecsta Z was their top choice. SOooooo i got a hook up with the prez at tread quarters...got em on and noticed a HUGE difference right away. The key is to constantly watch ur pressure i guess...better safe than sorry.
My Conclusion: it wasnt the kumhos, so dont fret it boys, i think ur safe with an ecsta z on ur C.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts