VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From http://www.totalkitcar.com
Quote »
Meanwhile an amusing but telling story I spotted in Steve Cropley’s excellent column in Autocar magazine last week concerns Daimler Chrysler executive’s who couldn’t understand why despite only selling 6,500 Jeep Cherokee’s in China during 2002 through their official Beijing-Jeep company, there seemed to be masses of them being registered and running around. Further investigations quickly revealed EIGHT factories (In addition to the ‘proper’ one!) producing cut-price replicas. Apparently 66,000 counterfeit Cherokee’s were registered last year in China! Replica's eh?

· Registered
2019 Pajero Sport and 1999 100 series LC
12,396 Posts
Re: You know counterfeit parts, but how about counterfeit CARS (Eolair)

There are several Swiss 250 GTO replicas out there that are hard to tell from the originals.

· Registered
13,717 Posts
Re: You know counterfeit parts, but how about counterfeit CARS (theevilshiftkey)

Heh. Real honorable those Chinese. And still, we buy up crap made there because it's cheap. It's really hard to buy common every-day items w/o getting it from these 2nd world countries who play fast and loose with IP law.

· Banned
8,913 Posts
Re: You know counterfeit parts, but how about counterfeit CARS (FatSean)

Quote, originally posted by FatSean »
Heh. Real honorable those Chinese. And still, we buy up crap made there because it's cheap. It's really hard to buy common every-day items w/o getting it from these 2nd world countries who play fast and loose with IP law.

Yeah, like IP laws work well in Communist countries..In fact, isn't Communism basically a way to eliminate IP, or any property, ownership?

· Registered
683 Posts
Re: You know counterfeit parts, but how about counterfeit CARS (Chris V)

Quote, originally posted by Chris V »

In fact, isn't Communism basically a way to eliminate IP, or any property, ownership?

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
35,288 Posts
Re: You know counterfeit parts, but how about counterfeit CARS (Chris V)

Quote, originally posted by Chris V »

Yeah, like IP laws work well in Communist countries..In fact, isn't Communism basically a way to eliminate IP, or any property, ownership?

Norinco is one of the most amazing companies on this planet. them and their subsidiaries make some of the most incredible copies of Western-nation items. matter of fact i have a Norinco pellet rifle coming in the mail on monday. it was $40 and it shoots about as straight as an American or German one i could have bought for 3x the price.
for those people that knock the Chinese and think all they make is cheap junk? you have YET to see the kind of quality that Norinco can crank out. they can copy anything on every level from "low grade" to "swiss-level" craftsmanship.
http://www.norinco.com/
that's their main company, but there's literally hundreds of other names they've gone by when selling items around the world. the only company i can compare them to would be something like GM, Panasonic, Hyundai, Mattel, and a dozen other companies COMBINED!

obin

· Registered
4,045 Posts
Re: You know counterfeit parts, but how about counterfeit CARS (theevilshiftkey)

fake cars?
That probably took them quite a lot of effort to copy. I wonder if there are pics out there of em.

When I used to live in asia.. they had a scam.. where they would rebody older model cars with the newer body(cheap labour) and sell it as the newer car. Its amazying how things become so much cheaper to duplicate when the labour is cheap. In US it would probably cost more to make the fake car and the real one

· Registered
3,222 Posts
Re: You know counterfeit parts, but how about counterfeit CARS (Obin Robinson)

Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »
....for those people that knock the Chinese and think all they make is cheap junk?

obin

Yeah, but would you shell out $10K for a brand new 2003 Chinese Grand Cherokee ?

As for the IP issues, the Chinese are probably the most blatant, but it happens at some level in all businesses where development costs are high. Reverse engineering, competitive discovery, corporate espionage, etc....
I was once in the factory of a major Asian-American automaker (mostly SUVs) and what did I find hidden in a corner behind a wall of their current models ? A partially disassembled Toyota 4Runner ! Seems that if you can't beat 'em, copy 'em !

· Registered
2,487 Posts
Re: You know counterfeit parts, but how about counterfeit CARS (Spindle)

I work in the power equipment industry.
Recently, companies have been copying well-known products (Yamaha, Honda, Perkins) and passing them off as copies. They are pretty easy to spot with poor quality, misaligned stickers etc. but for the most part they run and last like the real version does for about 30 dents on the dollar.

· Registered
21,269 Posts
Re: You know counterfeit parts, but how about counterfeit CARS (Brad Jar)

Quote, originally posted by Brad Jar »
Recently, companies have been copying well-known products (Yamaha, Honda, Perkins) and passing them off as copies. They are pretty easy to spot with poor quality, misaligned stickers etc. but for the most part they run and last like the real version does for about 30 dents on the dollar.

"Dents on the dollar" - how appropriate...

· Registered
5,661 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Brad Jar »

This has actually gone on for quite a while. That's why its not recommended you buy a "Nikon" camera while in Southeast Asia, god knows what you're really buying. The 3rd world [ and 2nd world ] market for counterfeit goods is rather large once you find it. If you know what you're buying and understadn the risks then you can save a great deal of money over the "official" goods.
Look on ebay, there's plenty of merchandise that's being sold cheaper than dealer cost. Sometimes, all counterfeit means is the factory runs at night & on weekends as well producing the exact same goods but they're shipped out the back door without the owner of the product knowing. The middleman is skipped and that's half the price... just don't expect any quality control checks .
And that Swiss GTO, I believe that was Paul Fauvre who lived in London or Paris. They weren't fakes , they were rebuilds from wrecked frames and they were offcially sold as such. However it was rumoured the buyers would turn around and sell them as the real thing for many times the value.

· Registered
2,487 Posts
Re: You know counterfeit parts, but how about counterfeit CARS (Double-V)

Quote, originally posted by Double-V »

"Dents on the dollar" - how appropriate...

heh, typo or Freudian slip??
Double-V, many of these Chinese products are actually being brought in by the Mennonites (!) around Waterloo, particularily north near St. Clements. They've been testing different lines, and it seems the Honda-engine clones are keepers. The internal parts are identical to, and interchangeable with, the Honda 5.5HP GX160/6.5HP GX200, and in the field they hold up about as well.
All of the local product is badged "Launtop", but there is a company in Mississauga called "Power on the Go" which is badging and selling them as real Hondas. It's a matter of time before that operation is put to a stop, though.

· Registered
2,323 Posts

I've been looking to buy a "nice" watch. There seem to be an *awful* lot of them in Hong Kong at very cheap prices.

I mean, a titainium Porsche Design watch on Ebay from a seller in Hong Kong with the "Buy It Now" option set at $60. Sounds a little fishy to me.
J.

· Registered
5,661 Posts
Re: You know counterfeit parts, but how about counterfeit CARS (Crazyquik)

Quote, originally posted by Crazyquik »
I've been looking to buy a "nice" watch. There seem to be an *awful* lot of them in Hong Kong at very cheap prices.

I mean, a titainium Porsche Design watch on Ebay from a seller in Hong Kong with the "Buy It Now" option set at $60. Sounds a little fishy to me.
J.

One of my friends went on a Cariibean cruise and bought a "faux" Tag Heur watch for $120US. It is exactly identical to his brothers $3k Tag in detail , function and weight. The sole difference I believe was the real Tag has wording stamped in the bracelet where it tightens up underneath and the faux Tag doesn't..... not like you even see it. He's had the watch for 4 years now and it still works. I say that was a good buy.

· Registered
9,483 Posts
Re: You know counterfeit parts, but how about counterfeit CARS (Crazyquik)

Quote, originally posted by Crazyquik »

J.
you'll be amazed at what $200US can buy you in mainland china. For that price you can get a fully funtional, "AA grade" Rolex Daytona with that. And when they say AA grade they mean it - it even weights the same.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.