VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a vehicle and have it narrowed down to these. Mainly looking for good on gas and a enjoyable drive. Where would my money be best spent and why ?

•GTI would likely be new in either SE or Autobahn trim. Between 28k and 32k
•328i new leftover 2016 or 2016 cpo between 32k and 36k
•IS 200t F 2016 around 30k
•ATS found a used 2015 2.0t performance with 8k miles for 25k. In excellent shape.

Love the bmw's but concerned with reliability. What ever I get I would like it to last a while.

What do you guys think ? Pro & Cons ? Any do's or dont's ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not sure about the reliability of CUE and the GM 2.0T. Same deal for the IS200T, 350 should be safe though. Is the new A4 an option?
I played with CUE for a while and it was kinda clunky but manageable. Not my favorite by far. I tend to use steering controls though.
The gm 2.0t does give me concern I have read some horror stories about them. Gm has been using them for quite some time though so I would think they are getting better.

With the IS200t I figured it's a Lexus so should be on par with usual results haven't been able to find any bad info yet.

Love the new A4's but don't want to spend any more than 36k ( prefer to stay closer to 30k)max and wouldn't want to settle for the lower tuned engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,880 Posts
I have seen rather "blah" reviews for the Lexus IS200t, both pre and post refresh. The motor is a bit of a lump, which is sad given the very capable chassis.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have seen rather "blah" reviews for the Lexus IS200t, both pre and post refresh. The motor is a bit of a lump, which is sad given the very capable chassis.
Seems to be what I have found as well. I kept it in the line up because I was hoping for some first hand experience from someone other than the Lexus community and it should be very reliable. Also because I don't need a speed demon just enough to enjoy.

What started this whole thing is I drove a golf r and it left me with a very good impression. Made me realize how much I don't need this big 4d truck I drive now that basically gets used as a car, but can't justify 40k for a hatch. So I started reading and shopping.

I think they could do so much more with the platform if they retuned the engine and tranny.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I debated a 340/ATS/S4/R because of the need for a manual transmission. Had the GTI Sport already been out it would have been a very tempting contender because of the sweet spot for options on a GTI. That said, really liked the handling and feel of the ATS, but not great if you want a usable back seat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I debated a 340/ATS/S4/R because of the need for a manual transmission. Had the GTI Sport already been out it would have been a very tempting contender because of the sweet spot for options on a GTI. That said, really liked the handling and feel of the ATS, but not great if you want a usable back seat.
Agreed I like the ATS but to me the whole car felt more cramped than the comp. The back seat was the only complaint my 9yr old daughter had with the car lol.

I take it you bought the ATS ?

·
Registered
'21 Ranger Tremor, '19 MX-5 Club BBR, '21 Ducati Hypermotard
41,772 Posts
I picked the ATS. Best driving dynamics in class.

I did have a cracked piston, but I am modded and it was covered under warranty.

Anyone under say 5'10" can sit comfortably in the back seat. The trunk has room. I can fit four adults with me driving (6'2").

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I picked the ATS. Best driving dynamics in class.

I did have a cracked piston, but I am modded and it was covered under warranty.

Anyone under say 5'10" can sit comfortably in the back seat. The trunk has room. I can fit four adults with me driving (6'2").

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
Thanks for the response. Back seat was not a big issue for me I sat in it briefly. I think my daughters legs are too short to bend in the right place.
What mod do you have ? I was thinking of a tune if I get the ATS but worried about exact problem you had.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Agreed I like the ATS but to me the whole car felt more cramped than the comp. The back seat was the only complaint my 9yr old daughter had with the car lol.

I take it you bought the ATS ?
No, the limited backseat space of the ATS and the prospect of driving a new car for a 1,5 months in Europe pushed me to BMW. They used to have the best European Delivery program and I bought the 340 just before they slashed their ED discount.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.