VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the situation:

You're stuck in the milled-out lane of a two-lane highway. Your car is being subject to all of the bits and pieces of road material that were left behind by the highway sweeper.
Do you:
Stay in the lane, with a long following distance in the hope that you are avoiding deadly rock chips, while possible "chewing" up your tire tread
OR
Change lanes to the un-milled surface, whereby possibly damaging the sidewalls of your tires when you make the courageous 2" leap from the lower surface to the higher surface?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I had this problem 2 weeks ago and made the decision to change lanes after the truck in front of me gave me a nice chip in my windshield. But as far as changing lanes I usually try to take the jump at the sharpest angle possible so as to have as little side wall as possible rub the asphalt. ie: get as far left in your lane as you can and then turn as sharply as is safely possible without be too erratic (as in don't do it so sharply that you come anywhere close to spinning bc thats just stupid)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Re: (th535is)

Step 1. Move out of PA! They SUCK at fixing roads!
I don't think you will do any serious wear on your tires in either case.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I honk my horn and flash my lights. Sometime I punch the steering wheel.

One time I pooped my pants. Honestly, it was childish and did very little to remedy the road situation. But I had to go.

·
Registered
2018 SQ5
11,755 Posts
Re: (DanTurboGP)

Move to the other lane. You're not going to damage your sidewalls, if you did the state will have to pay for the damage.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
Re: You're stuck in a milled lane on a highway. What do you do? (squitiere)

This is an actual question??????

chewing up tires? What are they papier mache' ?

Your tires are designed to shrug off 100 times worse...if not quit buying blem Chinese tires...or if you're driving on 30 aspect ratio tires...well you didn't think out your tire wheel purchase very well did you.

·
Registered
35,138 Posts
Re: (DanTurboGP)

Quote, originally posted by DanTurboGP »
I honk my horn and flash my lights. Sometime I punch the steering wheel.
One time I pooped my pants. Honestly, it was childish and did very little to remedy the road situation. But I had to go.

LOL!

For me it would probably depend on which car I was in... one could safely make the transition, the other not so much.

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
Re: You're stuck in a milled lane on a highway. What do you do? (sciroccohal)

that lane change isn't nearly as bad as you would think...I see motorcycles do it quite often.
You aren't the guy that slows down to 14 mph and turns on the flashers, are you?

·
Registered
35,008 Posts

55-series sidewalls make me not care how big the lip is in the pavement, my car has gone over plenty of things like exactly what is described here. This would be one of the primary reasons I am not a fan of huge wheels and low profile tires. I have hit a lot of debris and stuff HARD over the 10+ years with my car and never bent a wheel or damaged a tire.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: You're stuck in a milled lane on a highway. What do you do? (sciroccohal)

Quote, originally posted by sciroccohal »
This is an actual question??????

chewing up tires? What are they papier mache' ?

Your tires are designed to shrug off 100 times worse...if not quit buying blem Chinese tires...or if you're driving on 30 aspect ratio tires...well you didn't think out your tire wheel purchase very well did you.

Well, maybe "chewing" was too harsh of a word. Perhaps "decreasing my tread more than normal" would be more appropriate...
With low profile tires, I would also be concerned by potential rim damage from crossing the 2" step.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts

On the highway? Full steam ahead in the milled lane, but watching for a "bump" sign because sometimes it's a violent transition back to regular pavement. 205/40 tires for the record.
City streets in a lowered car are another story, because milled pavement = raised manholes = unibody bucklers.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Re: (lagunaroone)

move as needed. i've gone from milled to straight pavement and back to milled if its the faster flowing traffic. and this was in my 20th ae gti when i had it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts