VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today my oil temp hit almost 115 deg celcius. I was really railing on the car, driving it pretty hard on some backroads, up some long hills, etc. Afterwards when I was just cruising, it dropped down to about 110. I have a Volvo oil cooler, the radiator is brand new, lower temp thermostat and fan switch, the water pump is new, and my fan cycles on and off. My fan is a cheapo ebay slimline, and I don't think it's pushing as much air as the stock fan unit, so I may switch back. Also, my oil cooler is mounted on the front core support, and I was looking today and realized the bumper covers it all up, so little air can get to it. I was thinking of drillng some two inch holes on the lower half of the bumper to get some air flowage to the cooler.
Do these temps seem okay? It was pretty warm out today, probably mid 80's.

Modified by Kraftw3rkJetta at 2:16 PM 6-30-2008

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Yup, another oil temp thread... (Kraftw3rkJetta)

I ordered a new oil temp sender, because I'm having a hard time believing that my temps could still be that high with all the new stuff I've thrown at my motor to keep temps down, the main one being the oil cooler. I remember last summer my temps where still abotu the same BEFORE i put the oil cooler in
it just doenst make sense.

pics for clicks?

Modified by Kraftw3rkJetta at 3:03 AM 7-1-2008

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
FV-QR

Running synthetic or conventional oil?
Good synth can handle 140-150 before it breaks down.
Conventional's limit is a bit lower, I'd start to worry around 120-125 with regular oil.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Jetta2dr)

if you were running it hard, that temp is not bad. If you have the bottom of the bumper open to the cooler, that should be OK for air flow. And the fan is only going to be effective when car is stopped or at low speeds, you should have enough flow when moving.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: FV-QR (Jetta2dr)

Quote, originally posted by Jetta2dr »
Running synthetic or conventional oil?
Good synth can handle 140-150 before it breaks down.
Conventional's limit is a bit lower, I'd start to worry around 120-125 with regular oil.

i'm running conventional. I want to switch to synthetic, but i've heard many times that the seals in these old motors don't like the change to synthetic, and wind up leaking more.

Quote, originally posted by ps2375 »
if you were running it hard, that temp is not bad. If you have the bottom of the bumper open to the cooler, that should be OK for air flow. And the fan is only going to be effective when car is stopped or at low speeds, you should have enough flow when moving.

yeah, I was running it pretty hard, revving past 5k a lot, ripping up some long hills, etc. I was just hoping with all the things I've put into the motor to keep it cool (main thing being the oil cooler) it would be running a little bit cooler than it is. Like I said, I ordered a new oil temp sender since they're pretty cheap, and a bottle of Redline Water Wetter to help my coolant stay cooler. I may upgrade my fan to a Passat dual fan setup and run it off a switch so I can keep it on whenever I want.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Kraftw3rkJetta)

the fans are not going to any diff in temp once you are moving.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: FV-QR (ps2375)

Quote, originally posted by ps2375 »
the fans are not going to any diff in temp once you are moving.

Probably not, but I'm paranoid about high temps now.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Kraftw3rkJetta)

short bursts of high temps won't hurt anything. And if you change your oil regularly, again nothing to worry about. Now, if it ran that hot ALL the time, then I would be concerned. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: FV-QR (ps2375)

ok, I dumped a bottle of Redline Water Wetter in the coolant tank, drilled two 57mm holes in the bumper directed at the oil cooler. I also installed a new oil temp sensor, but as I was tightening it, it snapped in the head
Luckily I was able to remove it with a easy out, and put the old one back in. I went for a 20 minute drive on some back roads, but I took it easy this time and didn't wail on the car too much. The highest temp I saw was a shade over 100 deg cel. This was with the heater valve open too. I guess it's better than 115 deg, but I still am bummed. I'm going to order another oil temp sender and see if that tells me anything differently.

Modified by Kraftw3rkJetta at 3:08 PM 7-2-2008

1 - 9 of 9 Posts