VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Re: Z-Engineering S/C for MK3 8v (chris1257)

Yes I have it, night and day diff. in power.This one has more hp then the neuspeed one. Im getting 146 at the wheels=167 at the fly and nitto who is also a vortexer has it and he is making 151 at the wheels=172 at the fly. You could also add a cam and get I would guess another 10 out of it.Eurosport is selling them.

·
Registered
37,355 Posts
Re: Z-Engineering S/C for MK3 8v (GAIO GTI)

This will be a great alternative and competition for the Neuspeed SC once it gets its CARB approval. That is the best thing about the Neuspeed unit that keeps me from choosing turbo or any other forced induction setup. Being in California I do not want to bother ripping my car apart every two years just to smog it. I had a hard enough time smogging my '66 Mustang, when I had to that is.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts

why is turbo so hard to get pass smog? i hear that the metal turbo housing itself cools the exhaust as it enters the downpipe and slow the the catalytist process in the cat...then i hear from other people that turbo actually increase xhaust heat? maybe the the fueling is another problem? How does the eclipse turbo, supra turbo, 1.8T's in ca pass the smog tests?

[Modified by 87GolfKart, 9:27 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
37,355 Posts

Pretty much what Chris said. If it didnt come on the car then it will not pass the visual inspection which is getting harder and harder to pass.
During my last inspection the guy had a book out and was checking things off as he went. He was all over every part of my motor and under my car with a flashlight. I had removed the stupid heat shield at the back of the motor because it was rattling and luckily I didnt need it to pass smog according to the book. If I had a 96 instead of a 95 I would have failed.
It is also my understanding that New York is just as bad.
Come on Z please get it to pass CARB !!!

·
Registered
11,535 Posts

The way I look at it is that the z-kit is easily reversible. So even if they can't get CARB approval, they claim it only takes two hours to remove. So just take it of when you have to go smog it.
I know its a pain in the ass, but hey, its not like it'll take an entire day to revert back to stock.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Re: Z-Engineering S/C for MK3 8v (kkozma)

Yup, the main thing is that the Z-kit doesn't have oil feed lines. It's really a bolt-on affair. Now if only the price was a bit lower. That Rotrex charger is looking tempting now, oil feed or not.

·
Registered
37,355 Posts
Re: Z-Engineering S/C for MK3 8v (87GolfKart)

If the engine is newer than the car you can get it certified OK. But the engine must have everything that is required for the year of the motor. You would also have to follow the same rules when it comes to CARB approved mods, like the SC.
FYI - With HoR 270 Cam, Neuspeed Chip, Exhaust, Modified Airbox I pass the sniffer test with flying colors.

[Modified by Verruckt, 6:36 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Re: Z-Engineering S/C for MK3 8v (Verruckt)

i see alot of guys around here with oldskewl chevy motors under their hood...this one guy even had a 350 in a jaguar that was originally a v12...i dunno the z-charger look mighty expensive..almost 4 grand...my entire engine swap wouldn't even cost that much...so sad for me

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Re: Z-Engineering S/C for MK3 8v (kkozma)

The ND turbosystem that came out a while ago...for the 2.0L putting out 193hp and 230lb ft of torque with a combo of copper gasket and intercool and exhaust was was like $4,500...that was like back in '96...I dunno if they passed CARB or not...but i no longer hear anything about them..those guys are located in Ca and maybe they were extinct due to the CARB law? The only way i see them selling is through the net to other state w/out carb...but e-commerce back then wasn't like it was now and I dun know if they tried it or not.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts

I dont see them having a problem getting it carb approved. If they dont, I have no problem with shelling out the money to have it removed (2 hours) if not less. And then having it put back on. Its not going to break the bank for me. But yes I can see why it would be a consideration. Now on the flip side, if you didnt have the money to have it taken off an re placed on after every two years, you most likely werent in the position to afford the charger in the first place. I in no way mean that in a rude way either. Modding your car is fun in all, but not if its going to put you into financial debt.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Re: Z-Engineering S/C for MK3 8v (Verruckt)

quote:[HR][/HR]I do believe that the ND system was CARB legal, but it has been out of production for several years. Maybe TurboTim will pop in and fill us in on that question?[HR][/HR]​
The Mk3 ND Turbo kit for the 2.0L 8v is not CARB exempt for OBD1 models ('93-'95). We do not offer it for the OBD2 models. The parts can be purchased though.
We offer the Z-Engineering Mk3 2.0L 8v kit, right now. We also offer the Neuspeed supercharger kit.
We will be discounting the Z-Eng kit and Neuspeed kit for our Holiday Sale, starting Friday. The sale runs from 7:30am-6pm Friday and from 9am-2pm on Saturday. All supercharger kits discounted, DURING THE SALE IS THE TIME TO BUY. Check our web site tonight for all the sale prices and deals.

[Modified by Jason @ ND, 1:13 PM 11-29-2001]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.