VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1119 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Might as well get it started. The Z31 300zx has been growing on me more and more for years. I almost bought one last year but decided to hold off. I got the itch again and since they are slowly starting to creep up in value, I decided to get it going. I still haven't found the right car as I only want a nice sub 100k mile base. I also only want 84-86, non turbo in white, black or grey with analogue gauges and cloth interior.

My dad is a big S30 240z enthusiast and owns 5 immaculate 240's. For some reason, I just never liked those as much as the 510 I had for a number of years. And now, the prices are far too high for decent cars. Hence the Z31 obsession. I think the 80's cars have been and are still coming on strong and they become more and more desirable to me by the day. I was born in 79 so these are the cars I grew up seeing too.

My original plan was to build a monster L28 with diesel crank and tons of mods to 300 RWHP but I realized that would cost me $15k plus just in the engine. I have been talking with a friend at Japanese Classics/Japan Parts Service and was leaning towards an RB20 or 25det. But then when I asked if they had in stock, I learned they only had this non turbo RB25de with long tube headers. I was instantly sold! This would give me the chance to build something similar to the L series only at a fraction of the cost.

So here it is.. RB25de with long tube headers. Also got RB26 valve, coil and timing covers, the earlier bullet proof Z31 5 speed trans from Japan, an RB bell housing and they are currently searching out the adapter plate and individual throttle bodies as well as velocity stacks for an RB26. I am getting HKS or Greddy cams and rods/pistons. The goal is 300hp at the tires with a 9k rev limiter. Should be a fun car.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! When I saw this engine, I instantly saw the end result of the entire car in my head.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Way too much. And even though that red interior is mint, I still need the dark grey.

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,554 Posts
Cool! I just sold my 86 300ZX 6 months ago, it was an NA 5 speed but it was tan/tan with leather and digital cluster.

·
Registered
9,554 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I just need to be patient. There is no shortage of cheap nice low mileage ones. Just have to be on the search.

This is what I am going for on the overall look of the engine. Likely no flashy colors though.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Definitely interested to see things pan out, although I think 300 rwhp on an N/A RB might be optimistic...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We will see but I definitely agree with you that it will be tough. Going with some high quality rods/pistons and cams and possibly bore the block if possible. Not opposed to a new crank. Having my machinist port and polish the head and look into the biggest valves we can run. He has a bench flow tester and sounds intrigued. I will also run stand alone and have a great tuner. The guys I am talking to think the 26 throttle bodies will help out quite a bit too. Either way it should be a fun engine for the chassis.

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Are you planning on doing anything about the suspension? Because...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:laugh: Yes! I will do many things.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ordering the following from Raw Brokerage:
New RB26 head with guides
Supertech Dual 234lb Springs with titanium retainers
Supertech +1mm stainless intake valves
Supertech +1mm Inconel exhaust valves
Supertech valve stem seal kit
BC Billet valve keepers
Tomei Pro cams 272 duration high 10.25 lift
Tomei Solid lifters

·
Premium Member
6,457 Posts
In. Even if its only a fourth as good as the e38 build it'll still be better than most.

NA 300RWHP intrigues me, it sounds like what I want to do with an E46.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
The z31 has really been growing on me lately as well, can't wait to see the end result here :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
In Japan, the z31 was available with a turbo rb20. It was called the 200ZR and Japanese Classics currently has one for sale. The RB mounts work for any of the variants 20,25,26 and 30. The heads all interchange too. I will just have to get the block to head stud holes enlarged and re-threaded to mate the 26 head.

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1987-nissan-fairlady-200zr/

The early rb26's had this issue but it was fixed after 91 IIRC. I will use the newer oiling system with my stroker crank.

Here is my son checking out the ZR at JC

1 - 20 of 1119 Posts