VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 957 Posts

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,040 Posts
^ That's bad-ass :heart:

Oh so excited for this build, you could put that engine into a lawnmower and I'd be excited but a Z31? Love that you're keeping it Nissan, this is going to be a very cool parts bin special :beer:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks!!

I don't know what it is about the Z31 but for the last 2 years or so, I can't get it out of my mind. I keep trying to think of what could possibly be next and although my dad is a huge S30/240z enthusiast, they just don't do it for me as much and the prices are insane now. The Z31 does it for me though (when done right). They are also cheap, there are literally 10-20 for sale right now with under 75k miles and they have lots of aftermarket availability. The 80's cars are coming up strong and in 5 years you will kick yourself for not buying all the great cars up for investment purposes ;)

I am also dead set on a 1986. It has the fenders of the 87-89 but the older head and tail lights which I prefer.

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,480 Posts
Thanks!!

I don't know what it is about the Z31 but for the last 2 years or so, I can't get it out of my mind. I keep trying to think of what could possibly be next and although my dad is a huge S30/240z enthusiast, they just don't do it for me as much and the prices are insane now. The Z31 does it for me though (when done right). They are also cheap, there are literally 10-20 for sale right now with under 75k miles and they have lots of aftermarket availability. The 80's cars are coming up strong and in 5 years you will kick yourself for not buying all the great cars up for investment purposes ;)

I am also dead set on a 1986. It has the fenders of the 87-89 but the older head and tail lights which I prefer.
It's too bad I didn't know you wanted one, some kid in northern IL has it now, he actually just got a hold of me recently. And yeah, 86 is the best looking year, and the 2+2s are homely. Avoid the junk automatic climate. And Z31s are actually downright common compared to MK2 supras, and MK3 supras that actually run. The leather seats with power lumbar (yes, really) are amazing.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ordered a brand new Nissan rb26 head, +1 supertech intake and exhaust valves dual 234 lb springs and Ti retainers. Now my machinist can get working on port and polish.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Engine is on the stand. Pulled the front pulley and cover. I will pull the head fully assembled with the intake manifold and sell it complete. Not sure if I will have the headers blasted and polished or ceramic coated.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had no idea either. But it will make this project that much more doable and period correct. With a final goal displacement of 2.8xL and the fact that the car was available in Japan as a 200ZR with the RB20, I think I will need a custom 280ZR logo.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Sounds like an awesome project... I love Z's (hence my username)... I've had a '78 280Z and an '85 Turbo Z31. Just curious... why are you specifically after the non-turbo version? I agree with ya that the 84-86 are the better looking ones... '86 being my favorite, since you get the flared fenders but the earlier tail lights and more angular nose, and no bumper tits.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Sounds like an awesome project... I love Z's (hence my username)... I've had a '78 280Z and an '85 Turbo Z31. Just curious... why are you specifically after the non-turbo version? I agree with ya that the 84-86 are the better looking ones... '86 being my favorite, since you get the flared fenders but the earlier tail lights and more angular nose, and no bumper tits.
Unless it's a GS, the turbo cars seem to have come with the digital dash and the 4 post steering wheel. Most got leather it seems as well. These are all things I do not want. And since my engine won't be turbo, I really don't want it to say turbo on the back panel. All of these things could be swapped but ideally, I want to find the right base car.

I'm in. This is awesome :thumbup:
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
subscribed :popcorn:

I agree a non turbo, non digital dash & no leather seats is a better choice for your project :cool:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Unless it's a GS, the turbo cars seem to have come with the digital dash and the 4 post steering wheel. Most got leather it seems as well. These are all things I do not want. And since my engine won't be turbo, I really don't want it to say turbo on the back panel. All of these things could be swapped but ideally, I want to find the right base car.

Thanks!
Gotcha, makes sense... and swapping an NA car to 5 lug would be easier than swapping all the NA stuff to the Turbo. A slick top would be the badass for this build too.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Wish I could find a slick top!!

About ready to pull the head. Cam lobes look practically new.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
New parts overnight from Japan. Well not overnight from Japan..

·
Banned
257 Posts
Why is a 1 bank header always referred to as headers in the JDM community? Genuinely curious, because in the V/flat engine community I've always heard of 1 bank being referred to as a passenger/driver header and a package of both being referred to as headers, not 1 bank being referred to as plurals.

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,480 Posts
21 - 40 of 957 Posts