VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 60 of 950 Posts

·
Registered
41,822 Posts
The factory Z31 200ZR parts are kind of rare. Specifically the thing you need to get this swap done is the oil pan. The 200ZR has a rear sump pan unique to that car.

IIRC there's an aftermarket option out there because guys who want to swap an RB into an S30 or S130 also need a rear sump pan. They can use the 200ZR pan but there just aren't many out there in the wild.

·
Registered
240z, Z32TT, Golf
1,696 Posts
Sweeeet, my first car was an 84 NA. Stupid slow, but I loved it. This looks like it'll be a super fun swap :thumbup:

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,477 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I was seriously considering a slick top I found that had been for sale for a long time. I asked the guy what his bottom line was and he gave me a number $100 less than asking. Then he proceeded to tell me how if it doesnt sell soon, he will take it to Mecum so he can get near double the asking price...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Got the car. I actually found this one about 8 months ago but the price was $8600 so I didn't even bother calling. 3 days ago, in my daily searches, I saw that the price dropped to $6800. I offered $6250 and it's mine. Should arrive today or tomorrow.

1986 Nissan 300zx non turbo auto. It's the base model so analogue gauges, 3 spoke steering wheel with no controls, manual HVAC controls, manual seats etc. Should be the lightest T top car to start with. 56k miles and never registered to an individual ever. It went between a few dealers and was always serviced by Nissan. Looks to be super clean and the ideal base vehicle for my project. Who knows, I may even decide to keep the color..

·
Registered
2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Turbo, 2018 Mazda 3 GX Sedan
598 Posts
Can't wait to see where this goes! :beer:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
I am going to try and use the lower portion of the 87-89 front bumper but keep the upper with the sharper headlight cutouts. I also like the dual lens of the early cars over the late single with rounded cutouts. I am obviously a fan of the earlier tail lights but want to also install the later 87-89 bumper after shaving the over riders and license plate cutout. Lastly, 87-89 rockers which I think look better than any aftermarket stuff I have found in Japan. I am looking for an ideal front and rear valence from Japanese auctions and would consider keeping the stock bumper if I can find a reasonably priced Kaminari front valence like this one.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/10/a-clean-z31-eye-opener/z31-nissan-matsuri-11/

This white car is my ultimate inspiration so far. Also, a good comparison shot of the two different style rears.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Wow, that Z31 is really impeccable. It's good to see an otherwise overlooked car get some love.

So in for this.

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,477 Posts
Wow. $6200 isn't bad for a 50K mile time capsule:thumbup:

So you'll be swapping a factory 5 speed in? What's the axle ratio? I recall my car having very tall gearing.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Yeah, I already have the stronger of the 3 Z31 5 speeds that came from Japan Parts Service. Not sure of the rear ratio on the auto but I do think it is in the low 3's. I intend to run a shorter 3.7x-4.1x tops with LSD.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
The car was delivered this morning and all I can say is WOW!!! It’s so much nicer than I expected. I found one spot with some paint overspray but realized it’s just because someone spray painted the side mirror after it was scuffed. So the overspray got on some trim but easy to remove. All other paint appears to be stock and in great shape. The interior is incredible. The dash and gauges are like new. There are no rattles, squeaks or any odd noises. It even rides terrific. The seats are incredibly comfortable. I can smell a fuel leak, an oil leak and it runs a little rough but probably just needs a tune up. Besides, the drivetrain won’t be like that for long. Still, I may go ahead and do that, install the 5 speed since my best friend got me a pedal assembly, master cylinder and has a Z32 driveshaft which may help. Overall, I couldn’t be more pleased with the purchase and could probably flip it now for a decent profit. But that would be boring….

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I have been told it actually shares a lot with the S13 silvia rear end but we will see.

Some cell phone shots after a quick wash before the freeze.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
More

41 - 60 of 950 Posts