VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the other night we're putting new injector o-rings & bushings into the 1.8 16V in my friend's '81 Rabbit (normal '87 Scirocco electronics), and like an idiot I let the tip of an injector contact the 12V post on the alternator. Zzzzzapp! Large blue arc. After we come back from heading for the hills, it looks like nothing's wrong, but now the car runs... oddly. You have to feather the throttle or it wants to bog, and it seems to be running generally too rich. It seems to match the behavior described in the Bentley as a problem with the Differential Pressure Regulator, but that thing seems to pass the test laid out in the Bentley just fine. What else should we check? Did we maybe fry the airflow plate potentiometer? Help!
Oh yes, thanks in advance for any help, and the admonitions that I should have disconnected the battery. I know.

· Registered
2,849 Posts
Re: ZAPPO! (simon_reinhardt)

LOL
who isn't a pyro?
If I were you I would check every electronic part of the fuel system.. I don't think theres gonna be a whole lot of exsperiance in the field of "applied voltage to CIS injectors" hell that voltage could have even killed the 02 sensor,or the pumps or a multitude of things..

· Registered
3,083 Posts
Re: ZAPPO! (dj age one)

I'm doing the same thing after work today and early tomorrow before I cant move form all the turkey in me.
I just got the 87 16v and it is doing the same thing. starts fine, idles fine UNTIL I give it gas then it bogs, hesitates, idles crappy. and I read the bently fuel system section like 3 times. i feel im a pro now

but if you have any luck post up and if i do I'll post up for ya.

· Registered
2,461 Posts
Re: ZAPPO! (simon_reinhardt)

Check that the new 'o' rings are all sealing well... spray some carb cleaner at the base of each injector to check for air leaks. Check all fuses, and pull the fuel pump relay and check for the order of burns. Check that the cold start valve isn't running all the time.

· Registered
2,718 Posts
Re: ZAPPO! (lotus7)

kind of a stretch but where on the tip of the injector did it arch from? could u have damaged it with the spark? the fuel mixture is very dependant on the size of the injector opening being right even a little change can screw things up. and i would only suspect that the new seals were leaking if it ran lean which its not. so maybe go have your CO set and take it from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.